To keep your Troy Bilt mower engine performing at an optimal level, you need to get the right motor oil that can increase its efficiency.
There are different motor oil types out there, but which Troy Bilt lawn mower oil type should you go with?
In this article, we have made some recommendations that you might want to try. We have reviewed different types of oil and we share the best Troy Bilt lawn oil types available on market.
Troy Bilt Lawn Mower Engine Types
- Briggs and Stratton engines
- Honda engines
- Kohler engines
Types of Troy Bilt Mowers
The two types of Troy-Bilt mowers are:
- Riding Mowers.
- Push Mowers.
Troy Bilt Lawn Mower Engine Oil Type
In this section, we are going to talk about several types of motor oil that is best for your Troy Bilt engine:
Briggs & Stratton Engines
These are top-quality engines that provide efficient cuts on lawns at every time. The recommended motor oil for these engines is based on the temperature.
SAE 30 Oil
- It is a small engine oil that is best for 40-100 degrees F temperatures.
- Perfect for all air-cooled 4-cycle engines.
- Best for winter.
- Temperature range- -20 to 100 degrees F temperatures.
- Its motor oil grade is established by the Society of Automotive Engineers (SAE).
Synthetic SAE 5W-30 Motor Oil
- Suitable for a temperature range of -40 to 120 degrees F.
- Maintains fuel efficiency.
- Minimizes friction by adding a high protective coating on small engine components.
- It enhances fuel economy and promotes improved power output.
- It reduces exhaust emissions and engine deposits.
- Best for commercial equipment.
- Synthetic oil
- The oil is designed for ambient temperatures which range from +20 degrees F (-7 degrees Celsius) to +130 degrees F (54 degrees Celsius).
If your lawn mower runs on a Kohler engine, you can use SAE 10W-30 for an average region temperature. BUT if it is below zero degrees, it is advisable to get SAE5W-30.
Honda makes several engine types such as GX160, GX120 and GX200 and these are 4-stroke engines. They should be fed with SAE10W-30 oil and their temperature falls between 0-100 degrees Fahrenheit.
If you need a motor oil that is only suitable for the summer and the temperature is between 50-60 degrees Fahrenheit, you should choose SAE 30. It makes the engine’s running parts more efficient.
Also Read: Can You Use 2 Cycle Oil In A Lawn Mower?
Why is Motor Oil Important?
Motor oil plays an important role in allowing your engine to work efficiently. Here are some benefits of using the right motor oil:
- It provides lubrication that enables the engine parts to move freely.
- Motor oil ensures a longer engine lifespan.
- High-performance motor oil reduces fuel consumption.
- It reduces polluting discharges in the atmosphere.
- It protects the engine against corrosion.
How Much Oil Does a Troy Bilt Push/Riding Mower Take?
It depends on the engine capacity of the lawn mower.
For instance, a Troy Bilt Pony Riding Lawn Mower that runs on a 17.5 HP Briggs & Stratton Engine model can take almost 44-ounce oil. It can easily take 48-ounce oil if it has an oil filter while a Troy Bilt push mower can take up to 32 oz oil.
How to Check the Mower’s Oil Level
Checking the mower oil level is a crucial part of maintaining your lawn mower. Generally, homeowners need to change the oil after one or two mowing seasons.
Some experts also suggest that the oil can be changed after fifty hours of use for walk-behind mowers and hundred hours for riding lawn mowers. Below are the few steps to check the oil level of your mowing machine:
- Ensure that the lawnmower is on a flat surface with the engine stopped. You can now look for the dipstick. The color of the dipstick is mostly black or yellow and the top of its cap is an embossed oil indicator.
- Remove the cap from the dipstick and apply some pressure. To get an accurate reading, turn it counter-clockwise and clean it with a dry cloth.
- The level of the oil should be between higher and lower marks. Higher marks show that the oil is full while lower marks indicate that the oil level is low.
- If the oil level is low, you can add oil. Make sure that it does not cross the full mark.
- Re-install the dipstick and tighten it.
Oil for all Troy-Bilt Lawn Mower
Below are the types of Troy-Bilt mower oil type and capacity. You can check the table and find the appropriate oil for your model.
|Model||Oil Type||Oil Capacity (OZ)|
|Troy-Bilt TB280ES||Synthetic 5W-30||20|
|Troy-Bilt TB240||10W-30(0 to 100F)/5W-30 (-22 TO 50F)||12|
|Troy-Bilt TB42 Riding||10W-20||48|
|Troy-Bilt TB235 XP||10W-30||–|
|Troy-Bilt TB516 Lawn Edger||Gas||12|
|Troy-Bilt TB270 XP||10W-30||1 qt. Fuel Tank|
|Troy-Bilt TB410 XP||SAE 30W||20|
|Troy-Bilt TB400 XP||10W-30||20|
|Troy-Bilt TB146 EC Gas||10W-30||3|
|Troy-Bilt TB675 EC||10W-30||3|
|Troy-Bilt TB280 ES||5W-30||–|
|Troy-Bilt TB490 XP||10W-30||–|
|Troy-Bilt TB575 EC||TB575 EC||–|
|Troy-Bilt Pony 42 Riding||10W-30||48|
|Troy-Bilt Mustang 54 Zero||10W-30||64|
|Troy-Bilt Bronco 42 Riding||10W-30||48|
|Troy-Bilt Mustang 50 Zero||10W-30||64|
|Turn Lawn Mower|
|Troy-Bilt Pony 13WM77||10W-30||48|
|KS011 Riding Lawn Mower|
|Troy-Bilt Super Bronco XP 50||10W-30||64|
|Riding Lawn Mower|
|Troy-Bilt TB516 EC Edger||10W-30||3|
|Troy Bilt TB30R||10W-30||48|
Top 5 Best Oil for Troy Bilt Lawn Mower in 2022
1. Briggs & Stratton SAE 5W-30 Synthetic Small Engine Motor Oil- 32 Oz. 100074
- For use in all air-cooled 4-cycle engines.
- 100 percent Synthetic SAE 5W-30.
- Temperature range – -40-degree to +120-degree F.
2. Briggs & Stratton 10005 SAE 30W Engine Oil- 18 Oz
- High-quality SAE30 oil.
- Formulated for high operating temperatures of air-cooled engines.
- Ensures proper performance to maintain the life of your Briggs & Stratton equipment.
3. Valvoline Advanced Full Synthetic SAE 10W-30 Motor Oil 5 QT
- Exceptional temperature protection and viscosity retention enhance a high level of defense.
- Twenty-five percent protection against deposits with extra engine-cleaning detergents.
- Minimizes expensive repairs.
4. Valvoline Advanced Full Synthetic SAE 5W-30 Motor Oil 1 QT
- Reduce exhaust emissions and engine deposits.
- Remarkable temperature protection and viscosity retention provide a high level of defense.
- Minimizes expensive repairs.
5. Briggs & Stratton 2-Cycle Easy Mix Motor Oil -16 Oz. 100036
- Enhances the durability and performance of your mower.
- Mixture of multiple blends ratio.
- Easy to use and dispense.
If you want your Troy Bilt Lawn mower engine to work well and last for a long time, getting the right mower oil type is essential.
We recommend the Synthetic SAE-5W30 as the best motor oil because it is safe to use. It also works smoothly in degrees that range from -40 to 120 degrees Fahrenheit.