Makita XML03PT1 Review
We spent 8.5 hours going through experts’ and real users’ Makita XML03PT1 reviews. Here’s a summary of what they think:
10 Reasons to Buy
- The Makita XML03PT1 mower has a powerful brushless motor that gives it incredible cutting power.
- The mower comes with long battery life, an assurance that users won’t run out of power easily while mowing.
- To complement the mower’s long battery life, the batteries also recharge quickly. Within an hour, you can charge the batteries fully.
- Many users are awed by the mower’s ability to automatically adjust its power to suit a sensed cutting load. This automatic adjustment makes lawn mowing a lot easier.
- While most lawn mowers are noisy, the Makita XML03PT1 model is quiet. Thus, its owners can work at any hour of the day without constituting a nuisance to their neighbors with noisy mowers.
- The mower is also easy to assemble. You don’t need to hire a professional to assist with its assembly.
- The mower’s lightweight design comes in handy when working on hills because users can manoeuvre the uneven surface with ease.
- Aside from its efficiency of use, the mower is easy to maintain too.
- With its height adjustment feature, you can adjust the mower to suit your personal need and thus make cutting easier.
- Its batteries are compatible with cordless OPE and tools.
4 Reasons NOT to buy
- The mower’s cutting height of 3 inches is considered by many users as too short.
- The mower’s rubber mud flap’s resistance makes it difficult to pull it backward.
- Some users consider it a bit pricey.
Makita XML03PT1 Product Specifications
|Feature:||Rear Discharge, Electric Start, Bagging, Mulching.|
|Cutting width:||18-21 Inch.|
|Maximum cutting height:||2-15/16”|
|Minimum cutting height:||13/16”|
|Additional information:||Folding Handles Protection Technology (XPT), Slide-Style Batteries, Dual-Port Rapid Optimum Charger, Quiet Mode, Star Protection, Heavy Duty Steel Deck, Real-Time & Monitor.|
Makita XML03PT1 Review: Deep Dive
Some users who tested the Makita XML03PT1 mower don’t consider its cutting power impressive. The blade tip’s 133.6 MPH spin speed under no load was below expectation. In contrast, the top of the mower’s speed was 173.3 MPH.
However, although the mower has a slow start, it picks up speed pretty quickly, thanks to its ability to control its brushless motors properly when under load. The mower is designed to conserve batteries if you cut your lawn weekly.
When handling a heavy load, the mower outperforms other self-propelled or push cordless electric lawn mowers as it exceeds 170 MPH easily.
Unlike many brands that make false and misleading claims about their products, Makita sticks to its specifications. For instance, it claims to use an 18” mower. It is important to note that there are many lawn mowers that use bigger blade sizes and can cover larger areas.
While testing the Makita XML03PT1 electric mower out, a user reported that the mower worked for a little over 50 minutes on a regular load. That’s a total cutting area of approximately 0.39 acres or 11,200 square feet at 2.5 MPH.
With Makita’s 4 batteries, you can mow 0.77 acres in ideal conditions. Most people can’t cut more than between 90% and 95% of that area.
The Makita XML03PT1 has some great features. The cordless lawn mower may have more to offer with the Gen 3 that will be self-propelled.
This mower’s low noise level is one of its outstanding selling points. Its 77 decibels is one of the lowest among mowers. It’s second to only the 2 * 20V mower from Worx.
Impressed by its overall performance, some users put the mower through a torture cut test. One of the users claimed he allowed the grass to grow for 5 weeks while it rained daily. The grass deck height at the time of cutting was 2.5” and 8” tall. During the test, he reportedly maintained 2.5MPH and worked for 30.5’ until the mower stopped working.
Thus, the cordless mower will do a great job at the growing season’s peak. Even if you allow the grass to grow a bit longer, the mower can keep up, although you must operate it at a lower speed.
Range and Height Adjustment
Makita supports the single-point height adjustment system that enables users to set the 4 wheels’ height to any of the available 10 positions by pulling just a lever. To improve the mower’s bagging performance, you can set the front wheels a step higher than the rear wheels.
Undue flex is a common problem with some of the single-point models. The mower maintains a rigid form with its steel deck. As a lightweight mower, one lever is enough to handle the weight.
The Makita battery lawn mower’s cutting range is a bit tighter than most mower’s cutting range. During the test, its cutting range was measured at 1-1/8” to 3-1/8”, although the mower specs were 13/16” to 3”. Note that St. Augustine and some grass species are better cut at 3-1/2” or thereabout.
The kit has everything you need to bag or mulch. You don’t enjoy such luxury if you opt for a rear or side discharge. The chute clogged easily and swiftly while mowing with the mulching plug out and the rear flap down.
Users can choose from the mower’s 3 handle heights. The middle handle is the most preferred by many people as it can easily be adjusted up or down according to the user’s height.
Makita comes with a Whisper Mode that helps the mower to increase its battery efficiency and reduce its noise level by ensuring that the brushless motor runs at 2500 RPM.
Although the Makita XML03PT1 lawn mower is a bit expensive, it nevertheless justifies its huge price tag with its performance and features.
Its fast-charging batteries offer an excellent battery run time that users can count on to sustain them during mowing. With great battery life and cutting power, this easy-to-maintain lawn mower is every homeowner’s dream mower. So, that’s it on the Makita XML03PT1 review.
Makita XML03PT1 Lawn Mower
- Power source: Battery
- Cutting width: 18-21 Inch.
- Mower Type: Push
- Capabilities: Bagging & Mulching.
- Warranty: 3 years.
- Weight: 92 lbs
Frequently Asked Questions
Can I use one battery at a time?
No, you can’t use a battery at a time because the Makita XML03PT1 mower is designed to use two 18v LXT Lithium-Ion 5.0AH batteries at a time.
Does the Makita XML03PT1 come with a battery charger?
Yes, the lawn mower comes with an 18V Dual Port Rapid Optimum Charger.
What lawn size can the mower cut on a single charge?
When fully charged, it can cut about half an acre per charge.
Is the Makita XML03PT1 mower self-propelled?
The mower isn’t self-propelled but rather, it’s a push mower.
Does it come with a bagger?
Yes, it comes with a grass catcher.
- Clean the mower properly after each use.
- Spray the mower’s deck’s metal surfaces with a fluid film spray to prevent debris build-up and corrosion