The Husqvarna YTH18542 is an effective and versatile riding mower suitable for medium to large-sized yards. Powered by gas, it has a maximum forward speed of 5.2 mph and a reverse speed of 2.9mph. It can side discharge, mulch or bag via the 3-in-1 option.
We spent 9 hours digging through experts and real users’ Husqvarna YTH18542 reviews. Here is what the majority of users and experts think:
12 Reasons to Buy
- The Husqvarna YTH18542 comes with a pedal-operated hydrostatic transmission which enhances optimal driving control while mowing.
- It comes with a three-year warranty service.
- The gas-powered mower has a cruise control feature that helps to maintain a constant speed while mowing on rough terrains.
- The YTH18542 has a high-grade quality build-up and requires less maintenance.
- The Husqvarna YTH18542 riding lawn mower runs on an 18.5 HP Briggs & Stratton Intek engine which offers smooth and neat mowing.
- Its adjustable sliding seat helps to optimize user position.
- The riding lawnmower comes with anti-scalp wheels which decreases the risk of scalping when mowing on uneven terrain.
- The Husqvarna YTH18542 comes with a reverse operating system (ROS) for improved safety.
- It has headlights that enhance safe mowing in dark conditions.
- The Husqvarna YTH18542 riding lawn mower comes with a sizable cutting deck of 42 inches that ensures a nice and superior cut on tall grass.
- It has an innovative air induction mowing system that enhances a greater grass lift and superior cut.
- It has side discharge, mulching and bagging capabilities.
2 Reasons Not to Buy
- Some accessories such as mulch kits and triple bag collectors are sold separately.
- It has a small fuel tank.
Husqvarna YTH18542 Product Specifications
|Feature:||Mulching, bagging and side discharge|
|Cutting width:||42 inches|
|Maximum cutting height:||4 inches|
|Minimum cutting height:||1.5 inches|
|Additional information:||Reverse operating system, Air induction technology, Adjustable seat, cruise control feature, a mulch kit, and triple bag collector are sold separately.|
Husqvarna YTH18542 Review: Deep Dive
The Husqvarna YTH18542 riding mower comes with a pedal-operated hydrostatic transmission which provides balance and optimum driving control. The 42-inch cutting deck is made of steel to ensure durability. In addition, it is powder-coated to prevent corrosion.
The YTH18542 comes with an adjustable sliding seat that moves forward or rearward to optimize operator position. This seat adds greater comfort while mowing. It has an innovative air induction mowing system that enhances a greater grass lift and superior cut.
The cutting deck is equipped with anti-scalp wheels which decrease the risk of scalping while mowing on hilly and bumpy terrain. It comes with headlights which enhance steady operation in dark conditions. The deck wash port is connected to the water hose for the cleaning of the deck.
The gas-powered riding lawn mower runs on an 18.5 HP Briggs & Stratton Intek engine which enhances neat and efficient mowing. The engine includes features such as an advanced debris system and mechanical compression release to enhance durability.
The gas tank holds 2.5 gallons. Some users complained that the gas tank is too small for large-sized yards.
The riding lawn mower comes with a 42-inch cutting deck which enables solid cutting operation on medium and large-sized yards. It mows well on even and uneven terrain.
The Husqvarna YTH18542 comes with blades that perform well on tall grass. Its cutting options which range from 1.5-4.0 inches can be adjusted through the attachment lift lever. This will enable you to cut your grass to the desired height.
If the grass is extremely tall, it should be mowed twice. Make the first cut relatively high while the second cut should be to your desired height.
Ease of use
The Husqvarna YTH18542 riding lawn mower comes with a step-through feature to enhance an easy mounting. The inclusion of the socket wrench makes its assembly easier. Hence, you don’t need much expertise to set it up.
The blade engagement lever is located on the dash for easy operation. The fender-mounted deck lever is spring-assisted for easy operation.
Husqvarna YTH18542 Riding Mower Accessories
The Husqvarna YTH18542 is supported by a host of accessories to enhance versatility. It comes with a mulch kit and triple bag collector for improved mower performance.
Other accessories include a seat cover, twin bag collector and tire chains and so on. The drawback about the riding lawn mower is that some accessories such as mulch kit, twin bag collectors are sold separately.
The Husqvarna YTH18542 riding lawn mower comes with a Reverse Operating system for improved safety. It disengages the cutting blades when driving in reverse. It is equipped with a safety switch which is located under the seat. This feature prevents you from possible hazards or injuries while mowing.
Husqvarna YTH18542 Price and Warranty
For a riding lawn mower, the Husqvarna YTH18542 is fairly priced. It comes with a three-year warranty service. This warranty does not cover items that have been subjected to abuse or negligence.
The Husqvarna YTH18542 comes with a cruise control feature that keeps a constant speed by increasing the power of the wheels. It can act as a safety feature on edges, slopes and small hills.
The cast-iron front axle is supported by Advanced Vibration System Technology which enhances a smooth ride. It also offers superior stability.
It has a cup holder for refreshment while mowing. The riding mower has a 16-inch turning radius which makes it easy to maneuver around small spaces.
Apart from a few downsides, the Husqvarna YTH18542 is a durable and effective riding mower with a unique design, powerful engine, and remarkable cutting power.
If you are looking for a versatile and efficient lawn mower that can cover your medium or large-sized yard, the Husqvarna YTH18542 riding mower might be an ideal choice for you.
- Engine: 24 HP Kohler Twin Cylinder Engine
- Maximum Cutting Height: 3.75 inches
- Cutting Width: 50 inches
- Cutting Blades: 2
- Rear Wheel Size: 20 inches
- Front Wheel Size: 11 inches
- Warranty: 2 years
Frequently Asked Questions
Q: Does Husqvarna YTH18542 have cruise control?
A: Yes, it has a cruise control feature. It is to set and keep an even speed while mowing
Q: Can you get a snowblower attachment?
A: It is not recommended to add a snowblower attachment to the mower.
Q: What is the turning radius?
A: It has a 16-inch turning radius which can mow within small spaces.
Q: How much does the gas tank hold?
A: The gas tank holds 2.5 gallons
Q: What is the range of the mowing height?
A: Its cutting options range from 1.5-4.0 inches
Q: Is there a rear bag collection system for this model?
A: Yes, this model comes with a rear bagging system.
Q: Where is the Husqvarna YTH18542 made?
A: The Husqvarna YTH18542 riding mower is manufactured in the United States of America.
- Clean mower after use.
- Replace the engine oil filter every season.
- Sharpen the blades to achieve remarkable cutting results.
- Ensure that the air screen must be free from dirt to prevent engine damage.
- Replace spark plug at the beginning of every mowing season.
- Inspect and replace any corroded muffler to prevent hazards or further damage.
- Check V-belts for deterioration or wear after 100 hours of operation.
- Check tire pressure before use.
- Check Reverse Operating System before operation.
- You should always check the engine oil level before operation.
- Check for loose fasteners before operation.