Honda HRX217VKA Review
The Honda HRX217VKA is a simple, durable, and efficient self-propelled lawnmower. Powered by gas, it has enough capacity to help you cover a lot of ground. The mower comes in a 4-in-1 function: bag, discharge, mulch or shred. The Honda HRX217VKA can handle all types of grass.
We spent 8.5 hours going through experts’ and real users’ Honda HRX217VKA reviews. Here is a summary of what they think:
9 Reasons to Buy
- The Honda HRX217VKA self-propelled lawnmower has a unique and reliable engine that offers incredible cutting power.
- It is quite easy to start. There is no need to give it a full-bloodied pull as it fires up with half a pull.
- The self-propelled lawn mower is simple to assemble. You don’t need to hire a professional to assist with setting it up.
- The Honda HRX217VKA walk-behind mower comes with a huge bag capacity. (2.5 bushels), which means you don’t have to empty it regularly.
- The mower comes with a Versamow system which allows for the combination of bagging and mulching. In addition, it is made up of a twin-blade system that possesses four cutting surfaces and results in an ultra-fine clipping for better mulching and clippings per bag.
- It is strong and durable. It comes with a 5-year warranty and a lifetime guarantee for the deck.
- The gas-powered lawn mower is efficient while working on hills. It is quite easy to maneuver an uneven surface with ease.
- Many users recommend the Honda HRX217VKA mower for medium to large yards.
- The height adjustment feature adds to the flexibility of the mower which makes cutting easier.
3 Reasons Not to Buy
- A few people complained about how difficult it was to adjust the wheels. To adjust the wheel’s height, the mower must be lifted off the ground.
- Has a small gas tank
- It is a bit pricey.
Honda HRX217VKA Product Specifications
|Cutting width||18 to 21 inches|
|Maximum cutting height||4’’.|
|Minimum cutting height||3 /4’’.|
|Additional information||Clip Director, MicroCut Blades, GCV200 Engine, Variable speed self-propel (0-4 mph), NeXite Deck.|
Honda HRX217VKA Review
The Honda HRX217VKA self-propelled lawn mower has a unique cutting mode that comes in a 4-in-1 function: Bag, Discharge, mulch, or shred. Many users are impressed by the Honda HRX217VKA’s cutting performance.
The engine drives a powerful twin-blade system that allows it to access difficult parts of turf that would choke other mowers.
When handling different varieties of grass, the HRX217K5VKA outperforms other self-propelled mowers because it has a strong motor that can supply the cutting system with much power.
The gas-powered lawn mower is made up of a powerful engine and a distinct cutting system that can cut all sorts of grass, whether long, short, dry, or wet. The mower powers right through 12” and 3” grasses.
It can operate on hills, slopes, and uneven grounds. With Honda HRX217VKA mower, you can now mow at ¼ or ¾ acre in ideal conditions. Most people can’t cut more than 90-95% of that area.
Ease of Use
This Honda lawn mower is quite easy to use. The big wheels and speed control is integrated into the handle which makes maneuvering with the self-propelled mower less tedious.If it is well-maintained, this is perhaps the easiest mower to start.
Quite noisy. This is one of the drawbacks of the gas-propelled lawn mower. It has an average noise emission of 98 decibels when working which can be very disruptive. If you don’t want to get noise complaints from your neighbors, then don’t ever think of mowing at night.
A user put the mower through a torture cut test by placing it on a 12’’ thick wet grass in a mulching mode. To the user’s greatest surprise, the mower worked efficiently on it.
Another user reported that it works great on hills due to its ability to operate on an uneven surface with ease. Even if you place the mower on long grasses, the mower will operate efficiently without slowing down.
Range and Height Adjustment
Each wheel may be adjusted in seven distinct places to suit various terrain conditions to set mowing height for lawn conditions. This is done by pulling the adjustment lever. The blades can also be adjusted at seven different heights with the lowest one at 0.75 inches and the highest at four inches.
It is important to note that there are minor flaws in the wheel adjustments. A particular user complained about the difficulty in adjusting the wheels, which requires lifting the mower.
The kit has everything to bag, mulch, discharge or shred.It boasts of a simple and convenient rear discharge that improves mobility and eliminates the need for a separate discharge chute attachment. The clippings are discharged from the rear of the mower which makes it easier and more balanced to steer.
The mower comes with a three-position adjustable handle which helps maneuverability. It is preset at 41’’tall. The handle can be adjusted to any of the three positions, depending on how comfortable you are. It can also be folded completely for more compact storage.
Although the Honda HRX217VKA self-propelled lawn mower is a bit expensive, it nevertheless justifies its huge price tag when you consider its cutting power, durability, ease of use, maneuverability, and efficient mulching feature.
Based on the feedback from hundreds of users, the HRX217K5VKA is easily one of the best lawn mowers for medium to large yards, slopes, hills and uneven ground.
Frequently Asked Questions
Does the mower have rear-wheel drive or all-wheel drive?
Yes. The mower features a rear-wheel-drive system that prevents loss of traction.
What is the mower’s blade model if I need replacements?
The Honda HRX217VKA self-propelled lawn mower uses a twin blade system. 72531-VH7-000 is the upper blade model whereas 72511-VH7-000 is the lower blade model. You can purchase an original Honda HRX blade set here.
Does the mower come with the bag?
Yes. The mower’s bag is included.
What is the mower’s deck made of?
The mower’s deck of the gas-powered lawn mower is made of NeXite composite material. It is a durable, sturdy polymer that won’t dent, rust or corrode.
Q: Is there a blade brake feature on the mower?
A: No, it does not. The blades continue to rotate when the engine is operating.
Q: Does it come with oil?
A: No. It is shipped without oil.
Q: Does it feature an electric start?
A: No. The electric start feature is available on other models, but not on this one.
- Clean the mower after each use.
- Sharpen mower blades regularly to achieve a smooth, laser-like cut.
- The manufacturer also suggests lubricating all bearings at the same time using a decent 3-in-1 oil.
- The spark plug for the gas-powered lawn mower must be replaced when necessary.
- A quick wipe will stop dry clippings from falling on your garage floor.
- Check the air filter more frequently if necessary.