The Honda HRX217HYA is a durable lawn mower perfect for yards that are 0.5 to 1 acre. The self propelled mower operates efficiently on heavy and thick grass.
It can rear discharge, mulch, bag or shred via the 4-in-1 cutting option. The mowing machine offers years of reliable service.
We spent 8.5 hours reading through experts and real users’ Honda HRX217HYA reviews. Here is a summary of what they think:
9 Reasons to Buy
- The deck is made of NeXite to prevent rust, dent or corrosion over time.
- The Honda HRX217HYA comes with large 9-inch ball bearing wheels to enhance better maneuverability, increased durability and smoother drive on lawns.
- The self-propelled mower runs on a fuel-efficient and versatile Honda GCV200 Engine for superior mowing performance.
- The mowing machine is easy to start thanks to its auto choke feature.
- It has a fuel valve that can be shut off for storage, transport or for routine maintenance tasks.
- The Honda MicroCut Twin Blades ensure ultra-fine clippings for superb mulching.
- The Honda’s revolutionary Versamow System enables homeowners to discharge, mulch, bag and shred leaves.
- The zero-turn mower can easily trim around trees and landscaping features.
- The mower’s 2.5-bushel bagger has enough capacity to pack more grass for easy disposal.
4 Reasons Not to Buy
- It is a bit pricey.
- The bagger can get heavy.
- A user complained that the rubber gas line was not attached when the lawn equipment arrived.
- Some users were dissatisfied that the warranty did not cover carburetor issues because of fuel-related issues.
Honda HRX217HYA Product Specifications
|Cutting width||21 inches|
|Features||Side Discharge, Mulching, shred and Bagging|
|Maximum cutting height||4 inches|
|Minimum cutting height||¾ inches|
|Additional Information||Honda GCV200 Engine, Leaf Shred Feature, Roto-Stop Blade Stop System, NeXite Mowing Deck, MicroCut Twin Blades.|
Honda HRX217HYA Review: Deep Dive
The gas lawn mower comes with large 9-inch ball-bearing wheels that provide better maneuverability, increased durability and smoother drive on lawns. The mowing deck is made of NeXite to prevent rust, dent or corrosion over time.
The quick-release handle can be easily adjusted to one of the three positions to ensure comfortable mowing operation. Furthermore, this handle design can also be folded for easy and compact storage.
Its hydrostatic cruise control offers precise speed control that can be adjusted from 0-4mph. It has a fuel valve that can be shut off for storage, transport or for routine maintenance tasks.
The self-propelled mower runs on a powerful and versatile Honda GCV200 Engine for superior mowing performance. The engine also delivers more torque and power. The mower is easy to start thanks to the Honda Auto Choke System.
The Honda HRX217HYA comes with a 21-inch cutting deck for superior mowing on lawns. The Honda Roto-Stop blade stop system allows users to step away from the lawn mower without having to stop or restart the engine.
The Honda MicroCut Twin Blades uses four cutting surfaces to ensure ultra-fine clippings for superb mulching. It has 7 cutting positions that can be adjusted from ¾- 4 inches to suit your mowing needs.
Ease of Use
The variable speed of the self-propulsion system enables you to set it close to your walking speed with ease. Homeowners can slowly mow around some trees and landscaping features with ease.
Some users attested that the mower’s blade brake feature and rear-wheel drive make mowing easy.
Price and Warranty
For self-propelled mowers, the Honda HRX217HYA is a bit pricey. It comes with a 5-year warranty.
This warranty does not cover items that are damaged as a result of improper maintenance, negligence, or misuse. Some users were dissatisfied that the warranty did not cover carburetor issues because of fuel-related issues. This is one of the drawbacks of the lawn mower.
Honda HRX217HYA Accessories
The gas lawn mower supports a host of accessories such as mulching kit, Honda 8 Ounce Fuel Stabilizer, Lawn Mower Cover, Honda HRX Series Replacement Lower Blade, stainless steel guards decks for an increased mower performance.
The mower can rear discharge, mulch, shred or bag via the 4-1 option. The rear discharge option directs clippings out of the rear of the cutting deck.
The mulching feature re-cuts grass clippings into small pieces to restore nutrients into the soil while the bagging option collects grass clippings for easy disposal.
The 2.5-bushel bagger has enough capacity to pack more grass than a traditional single-blade lawn mower. This is one of the selling points of the self-propelled mower. The HRX Versamow System also makes leaf shredding easy.
It comes with safety features such as hand controls and a Roto Stop blade system to prevent you from injuries while mowing.
Although the Honda HRX217HYA is well-loved by users because of its high-power output, foldable handle design and mulching feature. However, this mower is not without drawbacks. It received negative reviews about its price tag, carburetor and awkward transmission.
- Power source: Gas.
- Cutting width: 21 Inches.
- Cutting height: 6 positions, ranging from 1.25 inches to 3.75 inches.
- Capabilities: Mulching, Bagging, Side Discharging.
- Warranty: 2 years.
- Weight: 72.0 pounds.
Frequently Asked Questions
What is the Honda HRX217HYA’s non-metal deck made of?
The cutting deck is built with a durable polymer material called NeXite.
Is the mower capable of rear or side discharge?
The self-propelled has a rear-discharge capability. It directs clippings out of the rear of the mower deck.
Can the handle fold over to save on storage space?
The handle is easy to adjust vertically or flatly for easy storage.
Is the mower rear-wheel-drive belt driven?
Yes, the Honda HRX217HYA is belt-driven.
- Clean mower after use.
- Change the engine oil every 150 hours.
- Check the rear shield before each use.
- Clean air filter every twenty-five hours.
- Clean spark arrester every 100 hours.
- Check fuel lines every two years and replace them when necessary.
- Replace spark plug every 150 hours.
- Check engine oil level before each use.