Have you ever had your work slowed down by a broken recoil starter cord? You can stop that from happening again by going for a top-quality rope for recoil starters. Getting a strong and durable pull cord will help your recoil starter perform at an optimal level.
In this article, we look at some of strong ropes for recoil starters that might be worth checking out. These are high-end and non-abrasive pull cords made with non-corrosive materials.
Best Ropes for Recoil Starters: Top 3 Picks
- A great Original Equipment Manufacturer (OEM) replacement for a wide range of machines.
- Abrasion resistance for improved performance and longevity.
- Ease of installation and operation.
- Suitable for large machines.
- Durable handle made of rubber and metal.
- Long enough to work well with an array of large machines.
- The rope is durable and can withstand rigorous pulling.
- It has high tensile strength that guarantees a long lifespan.
- It has an unbreakable load-bearing capacity through precision braiding technology
1. 5042K Briggs & Stratton-Best Pull Cord Rope
The Briggs & Stratton starter rope and grip has the appropriate diameter and length for easy grasp and comfortable hold. It has a smooth surface and high-abrasion resistance that help it roll out smoothly. You won’t struggle to hold and pull the rope to start your machine.
- unbreakable pull cord. It is made of strong and durable paracord for prolonged use.
- The solid starter rope offers a smooth grip that supports ease of use.
- The lawn mower pull cord has an adjustable length that makes it suitable for a wide range of machines with starter engines.
- You don’t need a professional technician to help out with the installation because it is easy to install.
- The internal strength of the rope’s core is too low.
The Briggs & Stratton is a strong and heavy pull cord rope made of nylon, which explains its high durability. This is one of the reasons many people prefer it to other cheaper brands out there.
This pull start cord is an OEM replacement for a wide range of Briggs & Stratton engines such as IVN37, G2757273, and 1VN41. It is also suitable for 1VN35, 1VN36, 1VN38, and 1VN39.
2. Hipa Recoil Starter Rope
The Hipa RecoilStarter rope is a 10-meter rope for recoil starters with a strong inner strength. It is quite long enough to work with many engines. The Hipa Starter rope is made of tough nylon cord, making it resistant to wear.
- A solid inner core strength that will enhance its durability.
- Wear-resistant nylon cord that guides it against wearing out prematurely.
- Sturdy construction that guarantees the rope’s durability.
- The installation is a bit tricky and may require the help of a professional technician.
- It is not compatible with 400 cc and other large machines because it is specifically designed for weed eaters, lawnmowers, and other small engines.
This lawn mower pull cord comes in different diameters – 3mm, 4mm, 5mm, and 6mm- to enable users to choose the most appropriate diameter for their engines.
The 10-meter long recoil starters’ rope fits an array of lawn mower brands such as McCulloch, Husqvarna, Homelite, Echo, Poulan, and Stihl. In addition, it works well with a snow blower and a trimmer brush.
The pull rope’s high-quality material is a great fit for most OEM parts and could be a good replacement for your mower’s recoil starter.
3. True Blue Heavy Duty Pull Start Cord
The True Blue Starter Rope is one of the few recoil starter ropes that can withstand rigorous pulling. So, you can count on it not fraying prematurely and serving you for a long time. You may also appreciate its high tensile strength, another feature that enhances its durability.
- The lawn mower pull cord is resistant to abrasion and humidity, two qualities that guarantee its long use.
- The 100-feet long starter rope is ideal for different machines.
- Thanks to its unique design, users can count on it for smooth rope-pulling.
- The pull cord is more expensive than many others on the market.
The top rated pull start cord works incredibly well with 2-cycle engines and outdoor power equipment. Thanks to its inner core strength, it has a strong load-bearing capacity supported by precision braiding technology that makes it ideal for different types of machines.
The True Blue Starter Rope is durable and abrasion-resistant, a feature that combines with its low-stretch properties to make it a good choice for lawn mower owners who want a durable and easy-to-use recoil starter’s rope.
Its compact design and good surface texture make it flexible to use. You can knot the pull cord for lawn mowers in no time and won’t have difficulty installing it as well. The rope is made of high-strength polyester silk that ensures that it lasts longer than most ropes.
4. New Stens Solid Braid Rope for Recoil Starter
The New Stens Solid Braid rope comes with an impressive 100-feet long solid braid length, the rope fits into most machine types and can easily cover any engine’s maximum recoil requirement.
- The rope has a soft grip that makes handling it a lot easier.
- It is a highly rated recoil starters’ rope that can serve you for many years.
- The rope’s length makes it compatible with different machine types.
- The rope is made of high-quality material and won’t snap easily when in use.
- You may struggle with the assembly instructions.
For durability and quality, the rope spots a smooth outer surface that combines well with its 16 strands outer wrap. With its impressive abrasion resistance, you have a recoil starter rope that can withstand any pulling pressure without snapping into two while in use.
The rope’s handle is made of metal and rubber which enhances its durability. The New Stens Solid Braid is a favorite for many because of its affordability and durability. It is ideal for most lawn mowers, especially some Craftsman and Briggs & Stratton models.
If you need a solid recoil starter rope for your large machine, the New Stens Solid Braid Rope for Recoil Starter might be a good option for you
5. BOAO 10-Meter Recoil Starter Rope
The BOAO 10-meter recoil starter rope is a durable 3.0mm pull cord for lawn mowers with 3 units of recoil starter handles. The recoil ropes are quite easy to install.
- Sturdy rope construction.
- Low-stretch quality and quality material support its durability.
- 3 starter handles ensure you have replacement options for longer use.
- No multiple diameter or thickness options.
The user-friendly and sturdy pull cord rope boasts an impressive load-bearing capacity that may make it the right fit for your machine such as lawn mowers, edgers, weed eaters, hedge cutters, and other similar machines.
The BOAO 10 meter pull cord’s tensile strength is second to none and it can stand continuous use for years. Thanks to its no-stretch quality, the pull rope can handle a wide range of equipment, including small farming equipment.
If you use Stihl, Homelite, Craftsman, Poulan, or other lawn mower brands, the pull cord rope might be a good option for your mowing machine.
6. Kuupo Rope for Recoil Starter
Kuupo Rope for Recoil Starter is one of the functional ropes for recoil starters especially designed for small machines such as edgers, chainsaws, cutters, brushes, and other small engines.
- It is made of solid braid material that is resistant to wear and tear.
- The multipurpose pull cord rope can work with several machines.
- It has the right length to suit many machine models and brands
- There are cheaper alternatives.
Made of solid braid materials, the strong rope offers impressive resistance to wear and tear. The pull rope may be in good working condition years after purchase.
The 100-feet long lawn mower pull cord has a diameter of 5.0mm and can work well with several machines such as trimmer, brush, lawn mower, chainsaws, and other similar engines.
If you are using a product from Poulan, Stihl, Craftsman, Homelite, Echo, McCulloch, or Sears models, you may consider getting this rope for the machine.
Factors You Should Consider When Buying a Recoil Starter Rope
Before you purchase any brand of recoil starter rope, here are a few important things to pay attention to:
The diameter or thickness of a recoil starter rope is one of the major factors to consider before buying it. The recommended diameter is 5/2, although this may differ from one brand to another. Hence, before you buy a lawn mower pull start cord, check the manual for the manufacturer’s recommendation.
You want to check the length too. Most machines are compatible with the 5/32-inch ropes. Sometimes, though, the 3/16 or 11/64-inch rope might be the right fit for a machine. This implies that you must consult the manufacturer online or check the user’s manual for the recommended rope length for your machine.
High-quality ropes for recoil starters are resistant to wear and abrasion. The resistance extends their lifespan and enables them to give users their money’s worth. If you want a durable pull start cord that will serve you for many years, take its resistance into consideration.
Ease of Installation
You should consider the ease of installation when choosing a rope for your machine’s recoil starter. While some ropes require professional help to install, users can handle the installation of some other brands. So, consider whether you can handle the installation or not.
If you can’t install the appropriate rope for your recoil starter, engaging a professional to help isn’t a bad idea.
How long can the rope serve you before fraying? This is a MUST-asked question when you are shopping for a starter rope. The easiest way to determine how durable a rope might be is checking what material they are made of. Polyester silk and nylon are two of the common durable materials.
If you want to maximize the performance and longevity of your recoil starter then it makes sense to get a durable and high quality pull cord. Many of the high-end ropes for 2 cycle starter engines come in different sizes.
Our top pick is the 5042K Briggs & Stratton Starter Rope & Grip. It is our number 1 choice because of its outstanding performance, durability, resistance to wear and abrasion.
How to Rewind a Recoil Starter Spring
After buying a quality rope for your machine’s recoil starter, you may consider rewinding it yourself. Follow the steps below to complete the rewinding quickly:
Step 1: Unscrew the bolts and screw that hold the recoil assembly in place so that you can remove it from the engine.
Step 2: Turn the recoil assembly over.
Step 3: Unscrew the bolts that secure the pulley to the assembly to remove it. If any of the starter spring or pulley is broken or damaged, replace the damaged parts before rewinding the string.
Step 4: Untie the knot at the string’s end. Pull the string out of the recoil assembly’s hole and the pulley. Replace the starter string if the string is frayed or broken.
Step 5: Reinstall the pulley into the assembly and turn the pulley a number of times to set it properly.
Step 6: Line up the hold in the recoil assembly with the hole in the pulley to enable you insert the string. While at it, don’t allow the pulley to spin by wedging a screwdriver between the housing assembly and the pulley.
Step 7: Insert an end of the string through the recoil assembly’s hole and through the pulley’s hole. Tie a big knot in the end of the string to prevent the knot from coming out of the pulley.
Step 8: While holding the recoil assembly with one hand, use the second hand to hold the string outside the recoil assembly. Slowly allow the string to rewind around the pulley until it comes to a stop.
Step 9: After completing the rewinding session, attach the other end of the string to the starter handle and pull the string several times to ensure the spring and pulley work together perfectly.
Step 10: Once the pulley and spring are working perfectly, reinstall the recoil assembly into the engine.
Frequently Asked Questions
Why do some recoil starter ropes fray quickly?
Starter ropes fray when they are old and are not replaced. As the rope’s outer core becomes weaker, it shreds and the thickness reduces. Over time, the rope will fray.
The lawn mower pull cord can fray due to the repeated manual pulling of the starter cord. When you pull the rope through an eyelet and retracts automatically over a period, degradation may set in, leading to fraying.
What should I do before fixing a recoil starter rope?
Before you replace a recoil starter rope, check the machine’s compatibility features and choose an appropriate replacement rope. The operational manual will furnish you with that information. Alternatively, check the information online.
Why is my lawn mower starter rope not pulling?
If your lawn mower pull cord refuses to pull while starting, something may have blocked the traction cable.
What is the perfect diameter for a recoil starter rope?
The best diameter for a recoil starter rope depends on the machine’s engine, although 532 is a good diameter. However, to be sure you are buying the appropriate pull start cord, check the lawn mower’s manual.
How long does a recoil starter rope last?
The lifespan of a recoil starter rope depends on several factors such as the material and its resistance to abrasion and wear.
A rope with high resistance to wear and abrasion and is made of a durable material such as nylon and polyester silk will outlive its counterparts made of inferior materials and low abrasion/wear resistance.