The exposure of mower decks to wet grass might develop rust spots and cause surface materials to deteriorate. Spray cans containing protective chemicals can leave glossy finishes on the surface of lawn mower decks and underside, and help prevent rust.
Looking for a protective layer for your mower’s deck? In this article, we look at some of the top-rated paints for lawn mower decks available on the market right now.
Best Paints for Lawn Mower Deck: Top 3 Picks
- Dries to touch in 2-4 hours and covers up to 15 square feet.
- Superb resistance to fading, chipping and abrasion.
- The oil-based formula offers a long-lasting protective coating with excellent rust prevention.
- Prevents rust.
- It is environmentally friendly with no solvents.
- Offers long-term protection for metals.
- Helps prevent rust and corrosion.
- Keep grass and dirt from sticking.
1. Rust-Oleum 7747830-6PK Best Lawn Mower Deck Spray
The Rust-Oleum 7747830-6PK lawn mower deck spray paint can cover 15 square feet of surface area. It delivers a unique shine on surfaces. This spray paint is a good fit for protecting wood, metal, and concrete surfaces. This protective coat covers hard-to-reach areas of your lawn mower.
- It is suitable for both surfaces (interior and exterior).
- It comes with a comfort tip with a wide finger pad for easy spraying.
- Rust-Oleum 7747830-6PK Rust Spray paint is glossy and UV-resistant.
- It prevents peeling and cracking.
- The spray paint prevents rust and preserves a range of surface metals.
- This product could be more expensive than the regular 12-ounce spray cans.
The spray cap enables you to cover rust spots from every angle. It has a unit count of 72 ounces and a color of glossy sunburst yellow. The Rust-Oleum spray paint is available in different colors and finishes. When you apply this spray paint on a neat surface, it dries within two to four hours.
The Rust-Oleum 7747830-6PK enables the mower’s cutting deck to resist peeling. It maintains the smooth appearance of your mower deck. The oil-based formula offers a long-lasting coating with superb rust prevention and comes with high-grade chemicals to enhance durability.
2. The POR-15 Top Coat 46304 non stick paint for mower deck
The POR-15 Top Coat 46304 is a Direct to Metal (DTM) rust preventive paint designed to perform incredibly well on metal surfaces and on all applications where there is a need to preserve substrates liable to corrosion. Its safety colors comply with OSHA required color for designating cautions and marking physical hazards.
- It prevents rust and corrosion
- It is ultraviolet resistant
- Its safety colours compile with OSHA recommended colour for designating caution and marking physical hazards.
- It has an exceptional long-term sheen.
- It can be applied directly on metal surfaces without a primer or undercoat.
- It is a bit pricey.
It does not need a primer or undercoating. The POR-15 46304 is formulated to enhance long-lasting protection for your mower deck. It provides excellent adhesion and at the same time, prevents corrosion.
The POR-15 46304 can be applied to metal surfaces or recently painted surfaces without requiring a primer or undercoat. It takes three to four days to reach the maximum hardness. It could be longer in temperatures below 15 degrees Celsius.
It is important to note that all surfaces must be clean before applying the paint.
3. POR-15 46318 Top Coat Safety Lawn Mower Paint
POR-15-46318 Top Coat Safety Spray Paint comes in a package 16 fl. oz. (454g) container. This lawn mower deck paint does not require spray hardeners. It is suitable on all metal surfaces and reduces the chances of purchasing additional cans of primers for preventive maintenance tasks.
- Por-15 Top Coat Spray Paint has excellent adhesion strength.
- It is easy to spray.
- Por-15 top coat safety colours abide with OSHA recommended colour codes.
- It has a unique long-lasting sheen and colour retention.
- Because you need to spray any surface at a close point, the pressure generated by spraying this aerosol formula is minimal.
It is tagged as a direct to metal (DTM) rust-resistant spray. It gives you a long-lasting sheen that extends the life of your lawn mower decks. Apart from this, it offers a superb shine on surfaces that have been previously painted.
Its formula improves the color of the surface materials and prevents the degradation of metals. This top coat spray enhances a non-stick surface for grass clippings. In addition, the rust-prevent coat does not get chalky when ultraviolet light is shone on it.
POR-15 Top Coat rust preventive coating offers a barrier to corrosion. The aerosol’s level of the flash point is 40 degrees Celsius.
4. Fluid Film Corrosion Protection Spray
Fluid Film Corrosion Protection Spray creates a layer that does not fade. It is formulated to protect metal surfaces. The anti-rust formula enhances an impressive shine and provides a penetration on surface materials.
- It comes as a set of 3 aerosol cans to prevent corrosion.
- Fluid Film Corrosion Protection Spray contains redefined petroleum oils and wool wax to offer corrosion control and water displacement.
- It is durable and non-toxic for mower maintenance.
- Film Fluid protection spray is environmentally friendly.
- The anti-rust spray performs incredibly well on all types of metals
- It prevents rust on contact.
- It does not readily wash off.
- It is not available in several colors and finishes.
- It holds the dirt particles for a long period.
The can is designed with a spray tip which makes it easy to cover rust spots from each angle. It prevents the degradation of metals. In addition, it is not sticky, tacky, or gummy. This spray paint does not contain solvents and can last for a long time.
Fluid Film Corrosion Protection Spray offers long-lasting protection for metals and prevents corrosion on contact. Heavily corroded metallic surfaces such as shafts, nuts, and bolts that can be easily damaged during maintenance can be protected by spraying fluid film.
5. Rust-Oleum 248568-6PK- Best Paint for Underside of Mower Deck
Rust-Oleum spray paint prevents rust from underneath of the mower for an extended period. It comes in a 12-ounce spray container that leaves enamel on metal surfaces. The tip enables you to spray from any angle without getting tired.
- Rust-Oleum Spray Paint is available in satin and gloss finishes
- It is suitable for indoor and outdoor use and it allows brush-on-paint applications.
- The spray paint is UV Resistant
- It is long-lasting and budget-friendly.
- Rust-Oleum 248568-6PK has a strong resistance to fading, abrasion, and chipping.
- It comes with a wider finger pad to reduce fatigue caused by continuous spraying.
- The product has any angle technology that enables you to spray hard-to-reach areas.
- It protects inner and outer surfaces like concrete, wood and metal.
- It contains some chemicals which bring out an unpleasant odor.
It might not cover wider areas but the coat dries off in forty-eight hours. The spray paint is designed in a six-pack option colour which enhances superior coverage. With this spray paint, you can prevent rust on the underneaths of your deck for an extended period.
Rust-Oleum 248568-6PK is an oil-based formula that offers you a durable protective coating with superb rust prevention. This spray paint provides lasting protection in a wide range of colours and finishes. Its glossy finish enhances a good shine on your mower deck’s surface.
6. Tite-Seal Mower MDS 11/6 Mower Deck Spray and Protectant, 10 oz
Tite-Seal mower MDS 11/6 deck spray and protectant prevent rust on metal surfaces of the mower deck. The product is inflammable but there are safety precautions that follow it. For optimal results, the mower’s surface must be properly cleaned.
- It slips away the grass.
- Tite-Seal Mower Deck Spray prevents rust and corrosion.
- It prevents dirt particles from sticking to the underside of the lawn mower.
- It is not sticky.
- Due to its runny and sloppy nature, it requires good painting skills or expertise.
- The chemicals may be irritating to the eyes
After cleaning up, you can now apply the spray coat as specified by the manufacturers and wait for a few minutes for the surface to dry. For small applications, you can apply this product to a neat cloth and wipe the affected part with it.
Tite-seal mower deck spray and protectant prevent grass, dirt, and moisture from adhering to the underside of the mower decks. It is designed with cerflon, ceramically-reinforced PTFE which plays a pivotal role in your mower maintenance.
The spray can reach the hard-to-reach areas of your mower deck. It is essential for making chutes and some other moving parts of the mower non-stick. To make the spray last longer, avoid mowing on wet grass.
Factors to Consider Before Choosing a paint for Lawn Mower Deck
When you are in the market for unique paint for your lawn mower deck, there are things to consider which will help you make the right choice. Here are a few of them:
Mower deck type
One of the key factors to consider before buying your next lawn mower deck paint is to know your mower deck type. Knowing your mower deck can help you decide on the paint that will be a good fit for it.
If you get the wrong choice for it, it might not do a satisfactory job, worse, it could damage your mower deck’s surface.
Check the chemical(s) of the product
You have to confirm if the chemicals of the spray paint are not toxic and hazardous. Make sure that it is also safe for inhalation.
Some chemicals can be terribly harmful to the extent that they can cause permanent eye damage, irritation or further injuries that occur as a result of contact with the product.
Tips to Paint a Mower Deck
There are important steps in preparing a mower deck for painting. These steps include:
- Apply primer if necessary
Although some spray paints do not require a primer. Check the label to confirm if it requires you to prime the metal surface. You may also go for a two-in-one solution (paint and primer).
- Give it some time
Give it some time after applying the primer (if necessary). This will allow the product to sit on the surface. You need to allow it to dry so that you won’t ruin the whole process.
- Take your paint brush or spray can
If the mower deck is ready for painting, you can take out your paint brush or spray can and begin to paint the surface. Put several newspapers or clothes on the floor to avoid stains. Apply paint on the deck in an even manner. You can go over the painting process if another thin paint coat is needed.
- Divide the painting process into two coats
It is important to undercoat the mower deck so that it can provide a strong footing to the final colour. In addition, it gives a fine boundary between the primer and the outer coat.
- Give it a top coat
You can give it a top coat when the inner coat is completely dry. A cheap paint topcoat is okay for rarely used mowers while an “eggshell” type of paints are used for roughly used mowers to give it a new look.
How to Keep Grass from Sticking to Mower Deck
When grass clippings accumulate in your mower’s deck, it might make it less efficient. This build-up results in corrosion. Here are some tips to prevent grass from sticking to the mower deck:
- Clean the deck
You can clean your deck with a pressure washer and a piece of cloth. Water aids in the removal of the accumulated clippings. However, the use of a garden hose coupled with soft bristle and soapy water will remove these clippings with ease.
- Keep the surface dry
Exposure to water vapor and damp environments can cause corrosion. It is recommended that you keep the surface of your mower dry. Ensure that you empty the tanks before you start your preventive maintenance.
- Tilting the mower
When there are rusts on the decks and blades, the mechanism is always slow, thus, producing less desirable results. Tilt the mower to check the rusted parts and clean grass clippings from them.
- Spray with paint
Use the tip of your spray paint container to dry the underneath of your mower’s deck. Allow them to dry and treat all the rusty surfaces with primer before applying the coat. You can apply the coat with bush-on spray paint, spray lubricant or mask rust. After covering the affected parts, allow the coat to soak the surface and make sure that it is properly dried. This will save the deck from rusting.
- Check the mower’s air filter
Always check the mower’s air filter for any grass clippings or debris. This will make you clean the mower deck easily.
The Importance of Applying Spray or Brush-On Paints for Lawn Mower Decks
Although there are some long grass clippings on decks and undersides of the mowers, wet grasses get stuck more than dried grasses. This affects the level of efficiency of the mower deck. It causes unnecessary delays in cleaning and removing grasses from the mower deck.
The application of non-stick paints is one of the effective ways to keep your mower deck from rusting. They reduce the accumulation of grasses and debris on mower decks. These paints prevent clogging and make it easy for you to clean.
In addition, it helps you to maintain a consistent surface irrespective of any weather condition. This will enhance the durability of the mower deck and make it less prone to rust.
One of the differences between spray and lubricants is that lubricants can be sticky while spray or brush on pants doesn’t promote grass build-up. Spray or brush on paints enables the surfaces to be hardened.
Frequently Asked Questions
Can excess accumulation of grass and debris cause rust on mower decks?
A: Different things lead to the degradation of metal surfaces. The grass is exposed to moisture, this process leads to corrosion. The discharge chute of the mower can be affected by rust from debris.
How can I reduce the level of grass clumps on my mower’s deck?
How can I monitor the effectiveness of anti-rust paints for mowers?
A: You can monitor the effectiveness of your anti-rust paint by checking the amount of debris after mowing wet grass. You might need to change it if it is not effective. Check out reviews about the suitability of your anti-rust paints on metal surfaces.
What are the basic procedures to ensure before applying non-stick coats for mower decks?
A: Keep periodic maintenance of your mower with paint products that can treat and prevent grass clippings. It is important to use paints that are non-toxic so that they won’t affect the quality of the mower’s deck.
Should I undercoat my mower deck?
A: Mowers wear out and rust due to the accumulation of grass and debris that stick to their underneath while keeping the metal wet. A graphite undercoat is considered the best way to protect your mower from rust and ensure a long-lasting deck.
Is it necessary to paint the mower deck after some time?
A: It is important to paint the mower deck to prevent rusting. Whenever the deck gets exposed to wet grasses, it might rust because the deck rarely gets dried after usage. So, it is important to paint it after some time.
Can I use spray paint for my mower deck?
A: Yes, you can use spray paint for your mower deck. Ensure that you properly apply the paint.
Which paint is ideal for a lawn mower deck?
A: There are a few spray paints that might be suitable for your mower’s deck. Some of the popular and highly rated lawn mower deck paints include POR-15 46318 Top Coat Spray Paint, Fluid Film Corrosion Protection Spray, and Rust-Oleum 248568-6PK Spray Paint.
If you want your mower deck to operate efficiently and last longer, then getting the right spray paint is a no-brainer.
Out of all the high-quality mower deck paints reviewed in this article, our top choice is the Rust-Oleum 7747830-6PK Stops Rust Spray Paint. It comes with an oil-based formula that offers a long-lasting protective coating with excellent rust prevention. It has excellent resistance to fading, chipping, and abrasion.