Kohler engines are well-known for their efficiency and durability. To keep your lawn mower engine performing at an optimal level, you need to use the right engine oil.
There are several types of engine oil out there, but which of the engine oils is best for your Kohler engine?
We have researched and reviewed different brands and types of oil, and we bring you the top rated engine oils for Kohler engines available on the market today.
In a hurry? Check our top three recommendations:
Top 3 Best Oil for Kohler Engine
- Reduce sludge, deposits and corrosion .
- Refresh aging seals and reduce rust.
- Ensures exceptional temperature protection.
- Formulated for higher operating temperatures of air-cooled engines.
- Enhances a long engine life.
- Affordable and top quality.
- Leave critical engine parts 4X smoother.
- Ensures remarkable wear protection on critical engine parts.
- Offers outstanding value for your money.
1. Valvoline 881161 SAE Synthetic Motor Oil
The Valvoline 881161 motor oil has forty percent better wear protection than the industry standard with improved anti-wear additives. The engine oil keeps critical engine components safe and prevents metal surfaces from making contact.
- The synthetic oil resists thermal breakdown even in fiercest driving conditions
- The Valvoline engine oil reduces sludge, deposits, corrosion and oil
- It keeps critical engine components safe and prevents metal surfaces from making contact.
- The Valvoline 881161 comes with advanced friction-fighting agents that properly lubricate moving parts.
- It is difficult to carry around using a hand.
- Some users complained about oil leaks upon arrival.
It resists thermal breakdown even in the fiercest driving conditions. The Valvoline 881161 comes with advanced friction-fighting agents that properly lubricate moving parts.
Furthermore, it helps your older engine to maintain its horsepower to perform at its best for an extended period.
The Valvoline synthetic oil reduces sludge, deposits, corrosion, and rust. This will sustain the engine’s performance and prevent higher emissions.
The synthetic oil prevents leaks from both inside and outside your engine with premium seal conditioners.
2. Mobil 1 Extended Performance Full Synthetic Motor Oil 5W-20
The Mobil synthetic oil is well-known for its advanced engine cleansing, extreme temperature protection and outstanding oxidation resistance.
- The engine oil extends the engine’s life and protects against cold.
- It prevents deposits and sludge build-up to ensure a long engine lifespan.
- The Mobil 1 full synthetic oil helps to maintain stable oil viscosity.
- It offers overall lubrication under operating conditions.
- Some users complained about oil leaks upon arrival.
- The engine oil burns out in six weeks.
The 5W-20 oil prevents deposits and sludge build-up to enhance a long engine lifespan. It offers excellent overall lubrication and wear protection performance under mild and severe operating conditions.
This engine oil helps to maintain stable oil viscosity while its quick cold-weather starting feature promotes fast protection and extended engine life.
3. Briggs & Stratton 30W Engine Oil- 48 Oz. 100028
The Briggs and Stratton 30W engine oil is specifically formulated for higher operating temperatures of air-cooled engines thanks to its viscosity. It works well to keep the engine life up and running.
- The Briggs and Stratton 100028 engine oil is affordable
- It is formulated for higher operating temperatures for air-cooled engines.
- The engine oil promotes an extended engine lifespan.
- The engine oil is available in large-scale quantities.
This engine oil is affordable and ensures a long engine lifespan. The Briggs & Stratton 100028 engine oil offers you good value for your money.
4. Castrol 03057 GTX MAGNATEC 5W-30 Full Synthetic Motor Oil
The Castrol 03057 engine oil helps to reduce engine wear and keep critical parts up to four times smoother. Some users commented that the motor oil keeps the engine clean and works well. Furthermore, the Castrol 03057 provides sludge protection.
- The Castrol 03057 engine oil works well in low temperatures.
- It helps to reduce engine wear.
- It keeps critical parts up to 4X smoother.
- The engine oil does not have high mileage coverage.
- Some users complained about oil leakage when they opened the package.
The engine oil is perfect for places with lower temperatures and it can make your lawn mower engine run for a long time. It will offer you outstanding value for your money.
5. Kohler 25 357 06-S Motor Oil
The Kohler 25 357 06-S engine oil has a 10W-30 viscosity. Furthermore, it can tolerate up to 204 celsius. If you intend to mow with your lawn mower during hot summer days, then this is an ideal choice for you.
- The Kohler 25 357 06-S can withstand high temperatures.
- It is of high quality.
- It enables the mower to operate smoothly and quietly.
- The engine oil isn’t sealed tightly.
Some users liked the fact that the engine oil works great for their Kohler engines. In addition, it enables your mower to run smoothly and quietly. A user also reported the motor oil is high quality.
6. Kohler 25 357 75-S PRO SAE 10W-50 Extended Life Synthetic Engine Oil 5-Quart
The Kohler 25 257 75-S engine oil offers ideal protection for several lawn mowers that run on Kohler engines in all temperatures and seasons. This synthetic oil is formulated specifically for longer oil change intervals in Kohler air-cooled engines.
- It provides ideal engine protection in all seasons and temperatures.
- It has a 3X longer oil change interval.
- The Kohler synthetic oil provides an extra corrosion inhibitor for seasonal storage.
- No drawback worthy of note.
It provides an extra corrosion inhibitor for multi-season use. The Kohler engine oil has a guaranteed 300-hour oil change interval for several Kohler gas engines.
When it comes to efficiency and remarkable performance, The Valvoline 881161 motor oil is our top pick. It keeps critical engine components safe and prevents metal surfaces from making contact.
The Valvoline 881161 comes with advanced friction-fighting agents that properly lubricate moving parts.
In addition, it helps your older engine to maintain its horsepower to perform at its best for an extended period. This synthetic oil reduces sludge, deposits, corrosion, and rust.
Factors to Consider Before Buying Oil for Kohler Engine
If you are in the market for ideal Kohler engine oil, there are factors to consider. Here are a few of them:
One of the crucial aspects of the engine is its viscosity. In clear terms, viscosity is the resistance of flow in any sort of liquid. The thicker the oil, the more viscous it is.
For instance, in 5W-30 engine oils, the “number 5” signifies the maximum viscosity of the oil at low temperatures. The lower the number, the more it would perform at lower temperatures.
As for Kohler engines, we suggest that you get an oil that has 10W-30 viscosity. They operate efficiently on Kohler engines such as Aegis, CS, Courage, Command, and Command Pro engines.
Another factor to consider before buying engine oil for your Kohler engine is temperature. If you have a K-Series or Magnum engine, you can make use of the SAE-30W oil because it works well on Kohler engines at a temperature above 32 F.
If the temperature is higher than 50 F, you can also use SAE 30 for non-K series engines
Amount of Oil
The amount of oil you would need depends on how long the engine runs. Most Kohler engines need 1-3 quarts of oil, so, you need to get enough oil so that you can re-use the oils each time it runs out.
Types of Oils
It is advisable to know the oil types available on the market before buying. Some are pure oils while some are a blend. For optimal performance, it is better to get synthetic oil for your Kohler engine.
How Does Temperature Affect the Viscosity of Oil?
The viscosity of the oil and the temperature have an inverse relationship. If your oil has a lower viscosity, it will flow easily but if it is higher, the engine oil will be thicker, enabling it to flow less.
This process allows this viscosity to change with the temperature. An increase in temperature will make its viscosity decrease and vice versa.
Frequently Asked Questions
What happens if you don’t change the oil in the Kohler engine?
If you don’t change the oil in your Kohler engine, it will get dirty, causing the engine to wear out.
Is synthetic oil good for Kohler engines?
Yes, synthetic oil works well on Kohler engines. Synthetic oil enables better viscosity and deposit control. It also provides better wear and low-temperature fluidity.