One of the most important components of a lawn mower is its mowing blade.
Choosing the right lawn mower blade for sandy soil requires that you consider the applicability of the blade to your mower.
While mowing on sandy soil, it is advisable to get a low lift that will not raise too much soil that can clog your lawn mower or cause respiratory problems for you.
In the article, we look at some of the highest-rated mower blades for sandy soil that give an optimal mowing experience.
In a hurry? Check our top three recommendations:
Top 3 Best Mower Blades for Sandy Soil
- Fits Craftsman Riding Mowers and Zero-turn mowers with 54-inch cutting decks.
- Low-lift sand blades offer high performance in sandy conditions
- Best for St. Augustine, Bahia, Zoysia, Centipede and Bermuda grass.
- Comes sharpened and affordable.
- Made of high-quality material.
- Blade enhances excellent and clean cuts on lawns.
- Easy to use and install
- Made of sturdy and top-quality material.
- Ideal for use on thick grass.
1. Craftsman 54-inch Low-Lift Sand Lawn Mower Blade Set
The Craftsman 54-inch low-lift sand lawn mower blade has a sturdy construction ideal for use on sandy soil.
- Length: 19.25 inches
- Width: 2.4 inches
- Thickness: 1.5 inches
- Center hole: 6-point star
- Part Number: #942-05056/ 742-05056
- The package has only one blade
- The mower blade offers high performance in dry and sandy conditions.
- It is most suitable for tough grass such as St. Augustine, Bahia, Zoysia, Centipede, and Bermuda grass.
- The Craftsman mower blade is sturdy and durable.
- It is a bit pricey.
- Its thickness causes lift.
The Craftsman mower blade operates efficiently on tough grass such as St. Augustine, Bahia, Zoysia, Centipede and Bermuda grass.
It is more durable than several standard blades out there. The low-lift sand blade offers high performance in sandy and dry conditions.
The 54-inch lawn mower blade set is factory tested and approved to provide the perfect fit, strength, durability and great performance.
The Craftsman blade is 19.35 inches long, 2.4 inches wide and 1.5 inches thick.
The low lift blade is well-liked for its high-quality build-up and affordability.
- Width: 2.5 inches
- Length: 20.5 inches
- Thickness: 2 inches
- Center hole: Regular
- This set contains 6 blades
- The Premium Replacement mower deck blade is affordable and made of top-quality material.
- It is affordable.
- The mower blade ensures excellent and clean cuts.
- It does not have a model number.
- There is no list of replacement models.
The Premium replacement deck blade is 2 inches thick and 2.5 inches wide and 20.5 inches long.
It is well-sharpened with a regular smooth circular blade hole. The six-blade set is perfect for Super Z: VX 4 lawn mowing deck.
It does not have a model number or a list of replacement models. You will need to carefully measure the dimensions and make sure that it fits the mower before buying the blade set.
3. Craftsman CMXGZAM110182 50-Inch Low-Lift Mower Blade Set
The durable and long-lasting mower blade set is well-known for its high performance in sandy conditions.
- Width: 2.3 inches
- Length: 17.75 inches
- Center hole: 6-point star
- Thickness: 1.5 inches
- Part number: #942-05052/ 742-05052
- The set contains 3 blades
- It is factory tested and approved to offer strength, durability and performance
- The mower blade is made up of high-quality material
- The Craftsman low-lift mower blade set is durable and long-lasting.
- Its sharp-edged blades cut grass cleanly and efficiently, reducing the overall mowing time.
- It fits a limited number of mowers.
- It is rather thick which causes lift.
The craftsman blade set comes with three blades that are 2.3 inches wide, 17.75 inches long, and 1.5 inches thick.
The thinness of the blades minimizes the lift on the soil, making it suitable for loose sandy soil. It also reduces the risk of clogging.
This blade is designed to fit Craftsman zero-turn riding mowers and lawn tractors that require a blade model number #942-05052/ 7442-05052.
It is ideal for tough grass such as St. Augustine, Bahia, Zoysia, and Bermuda grass. The blade set is more durable than several standard blades out there.
4. Rotary Low Lift Blade
This type of mower blade is well-known for its versatile applicability to replace blades and fit into a wide range of lawn mower models.
- Width: 2 inches
- Length: 21 inches
- Thickness: 5/8 inches
- Center hole: 0.24 inches
- The Rotary low lift blade reduces the risk of bending or breakage.
- It can fit into a wide variety of models
- It can replace a desirable number of blades.
- The blade’s thickness results in a significant amount of lift which could result in clogging.
The Rotary low lift blade is 2 inches wide, 21 inches long and 0.24 inches thick.
It comes with a 5/8-inch regular black hole which makes it an ideal replacement for OEM- FERRIS: 5020842, 1520842 and WINDSOR: 50-3171 blades.
It has three blades that can fit into 61-inch cuts for ENCORE: Prowler Mid-Cut, BUNTON-GOODALL, BOBCAT/RANSOMES, SCAG: Cheetah, TURF TIGER or HUSQVARNA models. The blade is quite thick to reduce the risk of bending or breakage.
5. Honda HRX Blade Kit (1) 72511-VH7-000 Blade & (1) 72531-VH7-000 Blade
The Honda HRX blade kit is a durable and innovatively-designed product suitable for top performance on sandy soil.
- Length: 20.75 inches
- Width: 4 inches
- Thickness: 4 inches
- The package has a set of two mower blades
- It is easy to use and install.
- The Honda HRX blade kit is built with sturdy and top-quality material.
- It performs well on thick grass.
- It is only suited for the Honda HRX217.
The mower blade comes as a set of two blades for upper and lower placement. It is only suited for HRX217 Honda lawn mowers. In addition, The blade is perfect for cutting thick grass.
The Honda HRX blade kit has a circular center hole for easy installation. It has a solid steel construction to enhance longevity and top-notch performance. The blade kit offers fewer vibrations when in operation.
When it comes to efficiency, durability and great performance, The Craftsman 54-inch low lift sand lawn mower blade set is our top pick.
It operates efficiently on tough grass such as St. Augustine, Bahia, Zoysia, Centipede, and Bermuda grass.
The Craftsman mower blade is more durable than several standard blades out there. The low-lift sand blade offers high performance in sandy and dry conditions.
It is factory tested and approved to provide the perfect fit, strength, durability, and great performance.
Factors to Consider Before Buying a Mower Blade
If you are in the market for a durable and long-lasting mower blade, there are some factors to consider. Here are a few of them:
You can select your mower blade based on blade type. The blade type depends on the nature of vegetation and the area you seek to mow. There are 3 types of mower blades:
High Lift Blades
These blades are built to cut grass while lifting clippings that can be discharged and propelled via the mower’s chute. High lift blades are perfect for riding mowers.
Low Lift Blades
They are ideal for areas with sandy soil and dry short grass types. Low lift blades have a less forceful airlift that minimizes the amount of dust and debris that becomes airborne.
These types of blades are designed for homeowners that do not have baggers. Mulching blades help to cut grass clippings into tiny pieces.
Before purchasing a mowing blade for sandy soil, choose the blade type based on what suits your mowing needs and the area.
The blade size can be regarded as the width, thickness, and length of a mower blade. Be on the lookout for dimensions that will fit perfectly into the mower that you intend to use the blade on.
If you purchase a blade that is too long for your lawn mower, it will not fit into it, while short ones may fit but it would leave strips and patches of grass that have been passed over while mowing.
The thickness of the blade is related to its lift, thus the thinner the blade, the lower the lift. Blades that are too thin might break when exposed to consistent use.
It is also important to check the fitting holes that are located at the center of the blades. Make sure that the blade hole for a replacement blade should be an ideal match for the mower that you intend to use it on.
Different lawn mowers come with different blade shapes that are linked to their application areas or intended purpose.
They can be either curved or straight, depending on your mower’s construction. It is advisable that you carefully assess your mower to determine the blade shape that your mower needs so that you wouldn’t select the one that won’t fit with your mower.
It is important to consider the durability of the blade by checking its sturdy construction. You need to purchase a blade that is made with boron steel when mowing on sandy soil. It is tough enough to withstand the abrasive nature of sand without wearing out too fast.
Also Read: Best Dethatching Blades
Frequently Asked Questions
Does the sand dull lawn mower blades?
Sand, dust, dirt and other forms of debris can make a blade wear out quickly. If you find out that the metal is weak, it is important that you replace it.
How often should you replace lawn mower blades?
You can replace your lawn mower blades once a year. You can also change them if they get destroyed.