Leaf picker upper includes a category of tools such as lawn vacuums, shredders, leaf blowers with mulching features and leaf scoops.
If you are looking for the best leaf picker upper to solve the leaf problem in your yard, we would like the decision easy for you.
After spending 9 hours researching diverse products from different online platforms and stores, we have compiled the most functional leaf picker-uppers to ensure a clean and healthy lawn appearance.
Top 3 Leaf Pick Uppers
- Can be folded without the use of tools.
- Offers outstanding value for your money.
- Universal hitch can be attached to any brand or tractor
- Made with durable and UV-resistant material.
- They can be hung on a nail for easy storage.
- Lightweight, sturdy and multi-functional.
Best Leaf Picker Upper: 9 Top Picks
1. Agri-Fab 45-0492 Lawn Sweeper
The Agri-Fab 45-0492 model is one of the best lawn sweepers available on the market. It comes with an improved dump lever that can operate without leaving the tractor seat.
This lawn sweeper can be folded without the use of tools and works pretty for picking acorns. This will help you to save storage space.
- The lawn sweeper is sturdy and easy to use.
- It offers outstanding value for your money.
- The Agri-Fab 45-0492 lawn sweeper can be folded without the use of tools
- Self-maintenance is a bit difficult.
- The plastic gear teeth are not durable.
The Agri-Fab lawn sweeper is sturdy and easy to use. Furthermore, it offers outstanding value for your money.
The steel release lever can be used to empty the hopper bag. This lawn tool has a universal hitch that can be attached to any brand or tractor. The Agri-Fab 45-0492 model is capable of sweeping leaves in one pass.
2. Worx 12 Amp TRIVAC 3-in-1 Electric Leaf Blower/Mulcher
The Worx WG512 is one of the top-rated leaf picker upper for homeowners. It can also function as a leaf vacuum, mulcher and blower.
It comes with a proprietary design that allows the equipment to change from a lower to a vacuum with a mulcher with just the turn of a dial.
- The bag of the leaf picker has an easy release when it is time for composting or collection
- It is well-rated for ease of use and ergonomics
- The Worx WG512 can be converted from a vacuum to a mulcher with a flip of a switch
- A user complained that the hose is fragile.
- Another user complained about the mulcher’s suction power.
It has a max air volume of 600 cfm and a max air speed of 70 mph. The leaf picker is also electric which means that it does not require a mixture of gas or oil.
The metal impeller with shredder blade cuts in two stages and chops leaves down to a 16:1 mulch ratio.
The detachable bag has an easy release when it’s time for composting or collection. It is well-liked for its ergonomics and ease of use.
3. Gardease ReLeaf Leaf Scoops
The Releaf leaf scoops are well-liked for their lightweight design, sturdiness and ergonomics. This yard tool has an easy hang and fit-together design for easy storage.
- The leaf scoops have a lightweight construction.
- They are sturdy and ergonomic to use.
- These leaf scoops are easy to store.
- A user complained that the scoops are too big to hold
- The edges of the scoopers are too sharp.
It offers protection from weeds, rose bushes and stinging nettles. They are also cheap. You can also use them for spreading mulch and picking fruits.
4. Worx WG430 Electric Leaf Shredder
The Worx WG430 model can mulch up to 53 gallons of leaves per minute with its 13-amp motor. It is easy to assemble and maneuver.
- The leaf mulcher is easy to assemble.
- It uses a grass trimmer line to ensure safety when mulching leaves.
- The Worx leaf mulcher is compact and easy to use.
- Not ideal for smaller oak leaves.
The electric leaf mulcher has enough capacity to turn eleven bags of twigs, leaves or debris into just one bag.
The Worx Flex-a-Line system makes use of a grass trimmer line to ensure safety when mulching debris and leaves.
5. Husqvarna 125BV x 28cc Handheld Blower
The Husqvarna 125BVx gas leaf blower comes with a vacuum and mulching attachment.
It runs on a two-stroke engine and can deliver a maximum air speed of 170 mph and a max air volume of 425 CFM.
- A user liked the handheld blower because it is lightweight.
- It is portable and easy to use.
- The leaf blower has high power and ergonomic design
- A user complained that the leaf blower leaked gas.
- A user complained that it was difficult to detach the leaf catcher bag for emptying.
The leaf blower is also portable and easy to use. It is also ideal for homeowners with few trees and who want to get rid of their leaf problems.
The yard tool is well-known for its high power and ergonomic design.
6. Honda HRX217VKA Lawn Mower
The Honda HRX217VKA gas mower is an ideal choice if you need a leaf picker upper that also functions as a mowing machine.
The lawn mower comes with two mower blades that can shred leaves and grass with consistency. It runs on a Honda GCV200 engine with an auto choke system for top-notch performance.
- The gas-powered mower has a 21-inch deck that is made of Nexite to prevent corrosion, dent or rust.
- It can shred leaves thanks to its Versamow system.
- The self-propelled mower has large 9-inch ball-bearing wheels to ensure smoother drive and better maneuverability.
- It is a bit expensive
- The mower is quite heavy.
Its Versamow system allows to discharge, mulch, bag and shred leaves. The 21-inch deck is made of NeXite to prevent dent, rust or corrosion.
The gas-powered lawn mower comes with large 9-inch ball-bearing wheels to ensure smoother drive and better maneuverability.
Its quick-release handle can be adjusted to one of the three positions for comfort.
7. Jardineer Garden Leaf Scoops
The leaf scoops are an adjustable fit for small and large hands. This yard tool will enable you to get your job done easily and quickly.
These leaf scoops are well-liked for their sturdiness, lightweight design and ease of use. Furthermore, it offers outstanding value for your money.
- The Jardineer garden leaf scoops are lightweight and easy to use.
- The leaf picker upper offers outstanding value for your money.
- These leaf scoops offer better protection from sharp twigs, insects, pet mess, mud, dirt and stinging nettles.
- The leaf picker upper is too flimsy
- The handles of these leaf scoops are not secured.
They offer better protection from sharp twigs, insects, pet mess, mud, dirt and stinging nettles. The Jardineer leaf scoops have two hanging holes for easy storage and stacking.
Apart from using the scoops to pick up leaf piles, homeowners can also pick plant trimmings, grass clippings, mulch and pet mess.
8. GardenHOME Garden and Yard Leaf Scoops
The Gardenhome leaf scoops have hanging holes for easy storage. They are well-rated for their sturdiness and ease of use. In addition, they are lightweight and comfortable to use.
These leaf scoops are also corrosion-resistant and easy to clean. The handles can fit different sizes of users’ hands. They can also protect your hands from dirt, sharp yard debris and pesky bugs.
- The Gardenhome leaf scoops are lightweight and easy to use.
- They can protect your hands from dirt, sharp yard debris and pesky bugs.
- The leaf scoops can be hung on a nail for easy storage.
- Some customers complained about the handle design of the leaf scoops.
- They are too flimsy.
The Gardenhome leaf scoops are multi-functional, meaning that they can pick up large piles of leaves, plant trimmings, sharp items, trash, mulch, grass clippings and other lawn debris.
The leaf scoops are also made with durable and UV-resistant material. A user noted that the yard tool can pick up leaves quickly.
9. Altdorff Leaf Scoops
The Altdorff leaf scoops are sturdy and easy to use. Their leaf claws are made of rust-proof steel to prevent them from breaking like plastic ones.
These garden leaf scoops have good construction and they can also protect your wrist from strain and injury.
- The Altdorff leaf scoops have complimentary gloves to prevent branches and thorns from cutting your hands
- They are sturdy, durable and easy to use.
- These leaf scoops have leaf claws that are made of rust-proof steel to prevent them from breaking.
- A user complained that the wrist brace has a thin coating and can hurt the wrist.
- A user also complained that the screws that hold the wooden handle are tiny.
The leaf picker upper also comes with complimentary gloves to prevent branches and thorns from cutting your hands when you are carrying out your yard maintenance.
Their leaf claws can be easily stacked together. Furthermore, you can store them thanks to their wall peg hole.
Leaf Picker Upper Comparison Chart
Here is a head-to-head comparison of top-rated leaf picker uppers available on the market :
|Specs||Agri-Fab 45-0492||Worx WG512||Gardease Releaf Leaf Scoops||Worx WG430||Husqvarna 125BVx||Honda HRX217VKA||Jardineer Leaf Scoops||GardenHOME Leaf Scoops||Altdorff Leaf Scoops|
|Type||Lawn sweeper||Handheld leaf blower vacuum||Leaf Scoops||Leaf shredder||Handheld leaf blower vacuum||Lawn mower shredder||Leaf Scoops||Leaf Scoops||Leaf Scoops|
|Power Source||Manual||Corded electric||Leaf Scoops||Electrical outlet||Gas||Gas||Manual||Manual||Manual|
|Reduction Ratio||N/A||16 bags down to 1 bag||N/A||11 bags down to 1 bag||N/A||8 bags down to 1 bag||N/A||N/A||N/A|
|Leaf Bag Size||187 gallons||9 gallons||N/A||26 gallons||5 gallons||23 gallons||N/A||N/A||N/A|
|Weight||92 Pounds||8.6 Pounds||1.3 Pounds||20 Pounds||5.0 lbs||88 lbs||1.61 pounds||14.9 ounces||2.93 pounds|
|Price||Check Price||Check Price||Check Price||Check Price||Check Price||Check Price||Check Price||Check Price||Check Price|
When it comes to durability, efficiency and great leaf pickup performance, the Agri-Fab 45-0492 Lawn Sweeper is our top pick.
It is one of the best tow-behind lawn sweepers available on the market right now. The lawn sweeper comes with an improved dump lever that can operate without leaving the tractor seat.
It can be folded without the use of tools, saving storage space. The Agri-Fab lawn sweeper is sturdy and easy to use. Furthermore, it offers outstanding value for your money.
Types of Leaf Picker Uppers
Here are some types of leaf picker uppers:
Leaf scoops are one of the most affordable leaf picker uppers on the market. It looks like claws and can be fastened to homeowners’ hands.
You pick up about ten times more leaves at once when you attach these leaf scoops. This yard tool is perfect for homeowners that already have leaves in the pile.
They can also make it easy for you to pick leaves and throw them into a burn pile or trash can. Furthermore, leaf scoops are easy to store.
Leaf grabbers are a cheap and affordable option for homeowners. They feature a long handle that resembles a pair of tongs.
They have a hinged design that allows homeowners to pick up a large number of leaves without causing strain on their backs.
On the downside, using them to pick up leaves can be time-consuming if you own a large yard with a lot of leaves.
If you own a yard that is more than one acre or your yard is filled with many trees, it is advisable to check another leaf pick upper.
Leaf blowers are either electric or gas-powered models. Electric-powered leaf blower models require an electrical outlet to function.
They are eco-friendly and quiet compared to their gas-powered counterparts. Electric leaf blowers are also easy to maintain because they do not require oil or gas.
Although some electric-powered models are not as strong as gas-powered leaf blowers, they can still be powerful within their limits.
On the other hand, gas-powered leaf blower models are more powerful than their electric counterparts.
They require maintenance such as cleaning the air filter and carburetor maintenance. Furthermore, they also require the mixing of oil and gas.
Irrespective of the type of handheld leaf vacuum that you buy, it is important to consider the collection container or bag.
Several handheld leaf blower models come with a shoulder-mounted collection bag that can hold a few gallons of leaves. It is a perfect option for homeowners that do not have a lot of leaves in their yards.
If there are a lot of leaves on the lawn, it is better to use a stationary collection container that can be as large as 96 gallons or as small as 26 gallons.
If you care about the reduction ratio of a mulching blower, the one with a 26-gallon bin can hold leaves that are over 400 gallons while a 96-gallon container can hold leaves that are above 1536 gallons.
If you want to get a leaf blower for your yard maintenance, it is important to consider factors such as comfortable handle design, low noise, cruise control and variable speed controls.
Leaf shredders come with claws attached to a flywheel that can shed garden debris and dry leaves into tiny pieces.
Several leaf shredders have a reduction ratio which shows how many bags of leaves it can turn into one bag.
For instance, if you own a leaf shredder that has a 21:1 reduction ratio, it means that the tool should be able to take up to 21 bags of leaves and shred them into a single bag. In this case, it will reduce the amount of garbage and also save money.
Rather than bagging these shredded leaves, you can use them on a composite pile and flower beds. Shredded leaves are full of nitrogen and can add nutrients to the soil.
This is another leaf pick upper that can help you solve your leaf problem in your yard. A leaf vacuum or lawn vacuum can be either a walk-behind or tow-behind model.
The walk-behind leaf vacuum model resembles a mowing machine but the blade has a different construction.
Unlike the use of dual blades or a single mulching blade, a leaf/lawn vacuum comes with a high-strength metal impeller that can consistently shred leaves.
The collection bag of walk-behind leaf vacuum can hold up to 40 gallons of shredded leaves while its reduction ratio is usually 12:1.
On the other hand, a gas-powered tow-behind leaf vacuum is best suited for homeowners that have lots of leaves in their yards.
The tow-behind model can be pulled across your lawn with a zero-turn mowing machine or garden tractor.
As you mow your leaves in your yard, the cuttings of your yard tool go through a pipe and into the motor’s impeller for more shredding.
It is also important to consider the amount your container can hold. Using an Agri-Fab Mow N-Vac model as an illustration, it has a container that can hold shredded leaves of up to 239 gallons. The reduction ratio of this leaf vacuum is 5:1.
The tow-behind leaf vacuum is a better choice than the walk-behind model because it can work well with people that deal with a lot of leaves in their yards.
Mowing Machine with a Shredding Feature
Some lawn mowers that come with a shredding feature can be suited to pick up leaves.
It is best to get mulching mowers with two stacked blades that can spin quickly, and cut grass blades and leaves many times to create small pieces.
One of the benefits of using a mulching lawn mower is that it can be used to clean your lawn that is filled with leaves in the fall season and also mows your lawn in the summer and spring.
Another benefit of using a mowing machine is to pine needles, and pick up wet leaves. If you need high-end lawn care, this lawn tool is a perfect choice for you.
Lawn sweepers are another type of leaf pick upper that can make yard maintenance easy. Lawn sweepers can be in the form of a walk-behind model or a tow-behind model pulled by a zero-turn mower/tractor.
While your lawn sweeper rolls over the lawn, the brushes will sweep the leaves into your collection container. This makes your yard work easier than using a rake.
When the box is filled up, you can also dispose of leaves into leaf bags, toss them on a burn pile or use a leaf shredder to shred them.
The tow-behind model is an ideal choice for those who have many leaves in their yard. It has a larger storage capacity and can hold about 25 cubic feet or 187 gallons of leaves.
How to Pick up Leaves with a Lawn Sweeper
Here are some tips on how to pick up leaves with a lawn sweeper:
- Wear leather work gloves to offer protection against thorns or sharp objects. Ensure that you keep your lawn free from rocks, branches, pinecones and other forms of debris. This is important because your lawn sweeper can only remove leaves, small twigs and grass clippings.
- It is advisable to mow the lawn because your lawn sweeper will perform well on freshly mowed grass that is of the same height.
- Ensure that you adjust the lawn sweeper’s brush height to the same grass height. Some lawn sweeper models feature a handle that can move to the backward or forward position for brush adjustments. Check beneath your lawn sweeper and set your adjustment apparatus till the brush makes contact with your grass.
- Push your lawn tool into one side of the lawn. Travel in back and forth paths by moving across the lawn in opposing directions by either east to west or north to south. Turn the lawn sweeper around at the end of a path, then position the tires on the track of the completed path so they can slightly overlap each other for good coverage. Make sure that you walk at a moderate pace about the speed as if you are push-mowing your lawn.
- When you notice that the hopper is filled with debris, Make sure that you spread a big tarp on the area that has been swept. Dump what is in the sweeper bin onto the tarp. Your hopper may come with a handle or string that can open your hopper for you to dump these contents.
- Fold your tarp halfway with the contents inside. You should also open your leaf bag and ensure that its opening faces the upward position. You can now pour the leaves into the bag. In addition, pour the debris or leaves into a green bin or compost pile.
- Keep sweeping your lawn in paths and empty the hopper until you have completely covered the lawn in paths.
Frequently Asked Questions
Is a leaf blower better than a rake?
A: Yes, it is better than a rake because it will make your yard work faster. It works twice as fast as a rake.
Is it worth getting a leaf vacuum?
A: Yes, it is worth it because it can consistently shred leaves. Furthermore, getting a tow-behind leaf vacuum will work well with people that deal with lots of leaves in their yards.
What should I look for when buying a leaf vacuum?
A: It is important to consider factors such as power type, convertibility, collection bag form and size when buying a leaf vacuum.
What happens if you don’t clean up leaves?
A: If you do not clean up leaves in your yard, it may prevent nutrients, air and sunlight from getting to the lawn’s root system. It can attract pests or even cause the lawn to develop a disease.