A lawn sweeper helps remove debris like twigs, pine needles, grass clippings, fallen leaves, and other waste without causing damage to your lawn.
There is a wide range of brands out there but how do you select a lawn sweeper that is sturdy, effective and versatile?
After spending 9.5 hours reading through experts’ and real users reviews, in this article, we reveal the most durable and long-lasting lawn sweepers available on the market today.
In a hurry? Check our top 3 list below:
Best Lawn Sweepers on the Market: Top 3 Picks
- Easy to use and assemble.
- Collapsible hopper bag and folding hitch for compact storage.
- Semi-pneumatic tires ensure smooth transportation on lawns.
- Sweeps up to 19,000 square feet per hour.
- Sturdy and easy to use.
- It requires no electricity.
- A 13-inch-wide path gets your job done faster.
- Detachable thatch collection bag for easy disposal.
- Has a lightweight design.
1. Agri-Fab 45-04942 Lawn Sweeper, 44-inch
The Agri-Fab 45-04942 lawn sweeper is sturdy, easy to use and assemble. It has a collapsible hopper bag and folding hitch for compact storage.
- The Agri-Fab 45-04942 lawn sweeper is easy to use and assemble.
- It has a collapsible hopper bag for compact storage.
- The lawn sweeper comes with a 25-cubic foot hopper bag that can contain more leaves and lawn clippings.
- It has semi-pneumatic tires for easy transportation across the yard.
- The plastic gear teeth are not durable.
- Self-maintenance is a little bit difficult.
The 44-inch-wide sweeper features durable brushes that increase the effectiveness of debris collection while the extra-large 25-cubic foot hopper bag can contain more lawn clippings and leaves than several sweepers out there.
Homeowners can easily adjust the brushes of the sweeper to different heights by using a simple pull button. It has two semi-pneumatic tires that ensure smooth transportation across the yard.
2. Agri-Fab Inc 45-0546 52” Lawn Sweeper, Black
The Agri-Fab Inc 45-0546 is one of the top lawn sweepers known for its remarkable performance in cleaning up grass clippings.
- The Agri-Fab Inc 45-0546 provides exceptional performance while cleaning up grass clippings, leaves and small twigs.
- Its two semi-pneumatic tires ensure easy transportation on lawns.
- The lawn sweeper has a collapsible hopper bag for easy storage.
- It has a flimsy construction.
- The lawn sweeper requires time to assemble.
The lawn sweeper is versatile and can easily be attached to all brands of tractors, especially with machines that range between 8-13-inch ground clearance. In addition, it is sturdy and easy to remove.
Its six 10-inch brushes can sweep debris into an extra-large hooper bag that can hold 26 cubic feet capacity.
The 52-inch sweeper comes with two semi-pneumatic tires that enhance smooth transportation on lawns.
It has a dumping rope which makes it easy to dump all the debris without the need of dismounting the mower or tractor.
3. Karcher 1.766-303.0 S650 Cleaner, Yellow/Black
The Karcher S650 lawn sweeper offers a quicker and top-in-class cleaning performance. It can sweep up to 19,000 square feet per hour.
- The handle can be folded down for easy storage.
- The 4.2-gallon onboard waste container prevents you from getting dirty while working.
- The Karcher 1.766-303.0 S650 model offers a top-in-class cleaning performance.
- The push sweeper requires no electricity.
- It might fail to pick up very thin debris.
- A user complained about the wheel design.
The sweeper weighs only 22 pounds, making it easy to push with minimal physical effort.
The S650 model has an ergonomic handle that is flexible, comfortable and foldable for easy storage.
Karcher lawn sweeper features a 4.2-gallon onboard waste container that is very easy to empty. It is also ideal for cleaning driveways, sidewalks and storage areas.
4. Ohio Steel 50SWP26 Pro Sweeper, 50”/26 cu. ft
The Ohio 50SWP26 is easy to use and assemble. It has an extra-wide 50-inch sweeping path, enabling you to get your yard work done in a fast manner. Its hopper can be easily folded for easy storage.
- The Ohio Steel 50SWP26 is easy to use and assemble.
- Its 9-inch chute prevents clogging.
- The 50-inch sweeping path allows you to finish your lawn work faster.
- The lawn sweeper is quite heavy.
- It is not possible to disengage the brushes.
The exclusive patented spiral brush sweeps more efficiently than several standard sweepers out there.
The sweeper is perfect for both small and large gardens and comes with a 25 cubic foot hopper that eliminates constant emptying of the bag while sweeping.
Its 9-inch chute prevents clogging, making it a great fit for homeowners who do not have time to keep up with routine maintenance at all times.
5. Agri-Fab 45-0320 42-Inch Tow Lawn Sweeper, Black
The tow-style lawn sweeper can hold up to 12-cubic feet of debris. It has a durable and lightweight poly construction. You can easily empty the hopper from the seat of the tractor.
- The Agri-Fab 45-0320 lawn sweeper has a lightweight poly construction, making it easy to tow.
- The semi-pneumatic tires enhance easy transportation across the lawn.
- It features a collapsible hopper bag that ensures easy storage.
- The lawn sweeper can handle a lot of work.
- The tow-style lawn sweeper weighs quite a lot.
- Didn’t pick up acorns as well.
- More trips to the dump pile.
The lawn sweeper has a collapsible hopper bag for easy storage while its universal hitch can be easily attached to any tractor brand.
The two semi-pneumatic tires ensure smooth transport to the working area. Its dumping rope makes it easier to dump without having to dismount your tractor.
6. Ohio Steel 42SWP22 Sweeper Spiral Brush, 42”/22 cu. ft.
The Ohio Steel 42SWP22 has an extra-wide 42-inch sweeping path and a 22-cubic foot heavy-duty collector bag to facilitate efficient and quick cleaning.
- The Ohio Steel 42SWP22 is sturdy and easy to use
- The 42-inch sweeping path enhances quick and efficient lawn care.
- It has a completely collapsible and removable hopper for compact storage.
- The tensioning rods are a bit hard to assemble.
- Less effective on rugged grounds.
Its patented 11-inch spiral brushes offer maximum efficiency than several standard sweepers out there.
The sweeper is equipped with a hitch pin, sealed ball bearings on the brush axle, and a 5-position hitch adjustment that gives a custom fit on all tractor brands.
7. Brinly STS-427LXH-A 42” Tow-Behind Lawn Sweeper with Universal Hitch
The Brinly STS-427LXH tow-behind sweeper for uneven ground comes with a 20-cubic foot hamper that can be emptied from the tractor’s seat. The foot hamper can be easily folded down for easy storage.
- The lawn sweeper’s foot hamper can be easily folded down for easy storage.
- Its 42-inch-wide sweeper enhances maximum efficiency on lawns.
- The lawn sweeper can pick up wet leaves without getting clogged up.
- It has enough capacity to perform well on steep inclines and uneven ground.
- Poor assembly instructions.
Its six high-velocity sweeping brushes feature an adjustable height to improve their effectiveness in collecting debris.
The Brinly STS-427LXH model features a 42-inch-wide sweeper that ensures maximum efficiency.
Some users attested that the lawn sweeper is capable of handling steep inclines and uneven surfaces.
They also noted that it performed flawlessly and can pick up wet leaves without getting clogged up.
8. Sun Joe AJ801E 13-Inch Electric Dethatcher w/Removable 8-Gallon Collection Bag
The Sun Joe AJ801E model is equipped with a 13-inch sweeping deck to get your job done faster.
- The lawn sweeper model is easy to use and assemble
- The AJ801E model has a lightweight design which makes it easy to maneuver on lawns
- It has a 13-inch sweeper deck to get your yard work done faster.
- Not durable.
- It has a weak motor.
You can use the scarified function to cut the grassroots for thicker growth and healthier lawns.
The lawn sweeper model is lightweight, making it easy to maneuver on lawns. In addition, it is easy to use and assemble. The Sun Joe AJ801E features a detachable thatch collection bag for easy disposal
If you are looking for a sturdy, efficient, and easy-to-use lawn sweeper for your lawn care, the Agri-Fab 45-04942 is our top pick.
It has a collapsible hopper bag and folding hitch for compact storage.
The extra-large 25-cubic foot hopper bag can contain more lawn clippings and leaves than several sweepers out there.
Its 44-inch-wide sweeper features durable brushes that increase the effectiveness of debris collection. The two semi-pneumatic tires ensure smooth transportation across the yard.
Factors to Consider Before Buying a Lawn Sweeper
If you are in the market for an ideal lawn sweeper for lawn maintenance, there are factors to consider which will help you make the right choice. Here are a few of them:
The size of the sweeping path is relevant to the size of your lawn. The wider the sweeping path, the more area it will cover in a single pass.
If you have a small lawn, you can get a lawn sweeper that has a width that is up to 21-26 inches.
For medium-sized areas, get a lawn sweeper with a width that ranges from 26-38 inches while owners that have large lawns can choose one that is above 38 inches in width.
The size of your lawn will also determine the type of sweeper that is required for your lawn maintenance.
Push along lawn sweepers is perfect for lawns that are up to 2000 sq ft while a tow-behind sweeper works well for larger lawns.
It is advisable to look out for sweepers that can easily be folded and stored.
Tow-behind lawn sweepers are a bit more difficult to store than push-style sweepers.
If you need tow lawn sweepers, ensure that the bag and frame can be easily folded to occupy less space.
Quality of the Brushes
The quality of the brushes is based on the impact on how they can clean your lawn efficiently.
It is advisable to choose high-quality and durable brushes that are closely spaced together to pick the smallest pieces of debris.
The wheels can also determine how easy to pull or push the sweeper on lawns. For instance, large wheels perform incredibly well on rough grounds.
In general, rubber wheels have more grip under wet conditions compared to plastic wheels.
Hopper Capacity/Collecting Bag
The size of the hooper may vary with the size of the lawn sweeper. Furthermore, the bags of tow-behind lawn sweepers may also differ from each other.
Ensure that you check the models so that you can know their bag carrying capacity.
In addition, choose a bag that is big enough for your yard to reduce the time you spend disposing of the debris.
What Are the Different Types of Lawn Sweepers?
Push-Style Lawn Sweepers
Push-style lawn sweepers are perfect for cleaning small properties without many trees.
They pick up leaves and grass clippings in an efficient manner but they require more effort to operate than tow-behind models.
This lawn sweeper requires pushing the unit to complete the cleanup. You also need to make frequent stops to empty the hopper.
Tow-behind lawn sweepers provide the most convenient operation of all styles. They are suitable for riding mowers and ATVs.
These lawn sweepers are built to hold a huge amount of debris before emptying.
They are most suited for large properties but can get stuck, get clogged with mud or cause ruts.
Power lawn sweepers are perfect for large properties. They come in both push style and sweepers built to be trailed behind a lawn mower, just like tow-behind models.
These lawn sweepers make use of gas engines.
They have brushes that can spin at a faster rate while some also come with large hoopers that ensure quick cleanup on large properties.
What Are the Benefits of Using a Lawn Sweeper?
Here are a few of the benefits of using a lawn sweeper:
- It saves energy and time by working effectively to clean a larger lawn rather than using a rake or mower bagger.
- The soft brushes of the lawn sweeper remove debris without damaging your lawn.
- Rather than using a bagger, it is preferable to use a lawn sweeper to clean wet grass because the bagger tends to get clogged easily.
- The use of a lawn sweeper helps to prevent diseases by polishing and cleaning the lawn effectively.
- Its operation is relatively quiet than a bagger or leaf blower.
- A lawn sweeper can more easily pick up debris such as twigs, grass clippings, fallen leaves, and pine needles than a bagger or rake.
Frequently Asked Questions
Do Lawn Sweepers Actually Work?
Yes, they help to pick up grass cuttings, leaves, pick cones, and acorns to keep your lawn tidy.
How Big Should a Lawn Sweeper Be?
A small yard may need a 12-cubic foot hopper while larger lawns might require a 26-cubic foot hopper.
If you own very large properties, you may opt for multiple-hoppers that have enough capacity to hold as much as 78 cubic feet worth of debris and leaves.
When Should You Use a Lawn Sweeper?
You can use the lawn sweeper once the leaves start to fall. It will be easier to use this accessory when the leaves are dry than using it when they are wet.