The best type of mower blades for side discharge are mulching blades.
Unlike standard mower blades, mulching blades will cut the grass clippings into small pieces, allowing the lawn to look neat and healthy, and ready for discharge.
In this article, we share the most efficient lawn mower blades for side discharge available on the market right now.
In a hurry? Check our top three recommendations:
Best Lawn Mower Blades for Side Discharge: Top 3 Picks
- Produces fine clippings for superb mulching and bagging.
- Durable and easy to install.
- Double-sided design provides smooth cuts on lawns.
- One blade in the package.
- Durable and easy to install.
- Produces fine quality mulch.
- Bow tie center hole design.
- Manufactured to meet or exceed all OEM specifications.
- Well-balanced blades cut grass evenly.
1. Honda 08720-VH7-000 Blade Set
The Honda 08720-VH7-000 model is durable and easy to install. The blade set cuts well and leaves no shredded tips on the grass.
- The Honda 08720-VH7-000 blade set is durable and easy to install.
- Its double-sided design provides a smooth cut on lawns.
- The blade set provides fine clippings for superb mulching and side discharge operations.
- It is of excellent quality at a good price.
- The blade set can fit only HRX lawn mower models.
Furthermore, it is a great fit for HRX lawn mower models. Some users noted that the mulching blade set is of great quality at a good price.
The Honda blade keeps your lawn fresh and lively while its double-sided design enhances a smooth cut and fine clippings for superb mulching and side discharge.
The blade set has a protective coating for shipping so that handlers do not get injured.
2. Maxpower 561713XB Commercial 2-Blade Set
The Maxpower 561713XB blade set is durable, sturdy and easy to install. It stands out due to its quality build.
- The Maxpower 561713XB is a great fit for heavy-duty operation.
- The mulching 2-blade set is sturdy, durable and easy to install.
- It has a cutting-edge design that can efficiently cut through the toughest grass.
- It eliminates the problem of chute clogging.
- The blade is too heavy.
- Some users complained that the blade set leaves uncut grass blades.
The 2-blade set can fit into a variety of mower models with a cut of 42 inches, mostly for Husqvarna, Craftsman and Poulan lawn mowers.
The blade set is 2-2/1 inches wide, 21 inches long and has a 5-point star-shaped center hole.
With the blades installed, the Maxpower 561713 ensures a secure fit and enables the mowing machine to preserve its highest RPM.
It has a cutting-edge design that can cut through the toughest grass effectively. It works well regardless of the weather condition.
3. Maxpower 331528B
The Maxpower 331528B is a perfect fit for many 21-inch cut MTD, Troy-Bilt, Cub Cadet and Craftsman mowers.
- It comes with an extended cutting edge to enable you to cover large lawn areas in less time.
- The Maxpower 331528B is made of high-quality, durable and tough metal.
- The mower blade is easy to install.
- Stickers are not easy to remove.
- The mower blade needs to be sharpened.
It measures 21 inches in length, 2-1/4 in width and comes with a bow tie center design. It is designed to meet or exceed all OEM specifications.
The blade can cover a large area in a lesser time. It is made of durable and tough metal, making it suitable to deal with large debris.
The lawn mower blade effective for side discharge is well-balanced, made of high-quality material, and cuts the grass evenly.
4. MTD 942-0741A Replacement Blade 21-Inch Length
The MTD 942-0741A mulching blade is built to fit 21-inch mower decks except for those made of cast aluminum in some lawn mower models.
- The MTD 942-0741A replacement blade is durable and easy to install.
- The mulching blade can stand the rigors of wet and tough grass.
- It ensures superb mulching performance on lawns.
- The mowing blade needs to be sharpened.
- Some users complained that the blade is not balanced.
The blade has a four-point center hole and only one is included in each pack.
The mulching blade is durable and easy to install. It mulches well and can withstand the rigors of wet and tough grass. The MTD mulching blade offers an outstanding value for your money.
5. Rotary Copperhead Mower Blades Fits John Deere Models D100 LA100
These mulching mower blades can fit 42-inch cut John Deere lawn mowers such as D100 and LA100 models. The two-pack blade kit is affordable, durable and easy to install.
- The mulching mower blades work well on any grass and in any weather.
- They are extremely durable and easy to install.
- The two-pack blade kit leaves no uncut streaks.
- Might need pre-sharpening.
- Blades leave a trail of clump grass in dry conditions.
Rotary Copperhead mulching blades work well in any weather and on any grass. In addition, it leaves no uncut streaks.
A user attested that the blades ensure nice cuts on lawns and mulch the grass into smaller pieces in an efficient manner.
6. Husqvarna 954636867 2 Side Discharge Blade Kit
The Husqvarna 954636867 features a pair of 21-inch blades for 42-inch deck lawn mowers. They are sturdy, durable, and easy to install. The blade kit has a traditional 5-point center hole but does not come with a serrated edge.
- The Husqvarna 954636867 mulching blade kit is tough, sturdy and easy to install.
- The mulching blade enhances clean, nice and even cuts on lawns.
- A user commented that the 2-blade kit is well balanced.
- Might bump into stumps.
- Blades can get bent.
They mulch well, leaving evenly distributed clippings that are difficult to detect with one’s naked eyes.
The 2-blade kit is well-built and ensures clean cuts on lawns. A user commented that the blades offer excellent quality at a much better price
7. Lawn-Boy 89914P 21-Inch Mower Blade
This mulching blade is a replacement blade for 2005 and newer Lawn-boy lawn mowers. It is made of hard material with serrated cutting edges.
- The mulching blade offers you an outstanding value for your money
- The Lawn-Boy 89914P is well-balanced and reasonably priced.
- The blade is sharp and long-lasting.
- It offers uniform mulching on lawns.
- With a round center hole, the 89914P model is not the easiest to install.
The Lawn-Boy 89914P is sharp and long-lasting, even when used on wet grass.
The 89914P mower blade enhances uniform mulching and performs incredibly well in any weather.
Some users commented that the blade is of excellent quality, well-balanced, and reasonably priced.
8. Toro Recycler 22” Recycler Mower Replacement Blade 59534P
The 59534P model is meant to fit with Toro lawn mowers more than other models. It is well-liked for its durability and user-friendly qualities.
- The mulching blade is resistant to rust.
- The Toro Recycler 22-inch blade is long enough to handle a large cutting area
- It produces a fine quality of mulch.
- The toro blade is easy to install.
- It only works with Toro lawn mowers.
- Increased weight might cause a loss of RPM.
It is 22 inches long, making it longer than many mower blades out there.
The Toro Recycler 59534P mower blade is made of a sharp and strong stainless material for efficiency and high performance when you mount it to the right lawn mower. It produces a fine quality of mulch.
When it comes to durability, efficiency, and easy installation, the Honda 08720-VH7-000 mulching blade set is our top pick for side discharge It cuts well and leaves no shredded tips on the grass.
The blade set keeps your lawn fresh and lively while its double-sided design provides a smooth cut and fine clippings for excellent mulching and side discharge.
Factors to Consider Before Buying Lawn Mower Blades for Side Discharge
If you are in the market for a durable and compatible blade for your mowing machine, there are factors to consider. Here are some of them:
Lawn mowers are designed to have a specific blade length. Installing a smaller mulching blade may not allow you to achieve excellent cutting results.
Smaller mulching blades will make you miss small strips of grass, make more passes and make the bagger look ineffective due to lack of airflow.
Lawn mower blades that are too large can also slow down your machine and cause more clumping.
Most mowers display their cut size on the side of the mower. To find the ideal length, check the model of your mower.
If you can’t find it there, check the owner’s manual under the replacement parts section.
Fitment and Mounting Options
Check the fitment and mounting options of your mower before getting a mulching blade. Lawn mowers have different mounting holes.
Most mowers have a five-point star, bow-tie, six-point star, and universal fit.
Five-star and six-star point holes are easy to install because it requires the removal of a single bolt.
Number of Pieces
Ensure that you get a kit with the correct number of blades. For instance, most riding mowers come with two or three blades.
For optimal performance, it is important to replace all the matching blades. Replacing a single blade might be a bad idea because of these two reasons:
- Since mulch blades are heavier than standard mower blades, installing different weighted blades can disrupt the output of your machine because one blade might run slower than the other.
- There won’t be better mulching and airflow because the standard blades will cause clumping.
Do Gator Mulching Blades Work?
Yes, they can work well if they are well-built. Gator mulching blades come with a serrated cutting edge that shreds grass into small pieces while maintaining a medium lift.
When To Use Mulching Blades
You can use these blades when you want to mulch your lawn especially if you want to cut the grass clippings into tiny pieces that will break down when left on the ground to nourish the soil. However, there are limitations.
It is advisable to avoid mulching if you have a lot of weeds like crabgrass on your lawn. Furthermore, longer grass isn’t that mulch-friendly, especially when it is wet.
Frequently Asked Questions
Will mulching blades work with side discharge?
Yes. Mulching blades are perfect for bagging and side discharge. The Honda 08720-VH7-000 Blade Set is a top-rated mower blade that mulches and side discharges.