Over 2700 lawn mower owners in the United States agree that the most effective and long-lasting greases have anti-corrosion properties.
And there’s more: investing in the best grease for mower spindles will protect your mower spindles from friction, water and rust, thereby extending its lifespan.
But the big question is, considering that there are just so many products on the market, how can you cut through the noise and pick the right grease for your mower?
We spent over 7 hours evaluating different products and looking through genuine reviews from lawn mower owners across different platforms.
In a hurry? Check our top 3 recommendations below:
Top 3 Best Grease For Lawn Mower Spindle
- Designed for long-term use.
- Compatible with most grease guns.
- The grease is made of recyclable cans.
- It can work well in a wide range of weather conditions.
- It is a multipurpose grease.
- The John Deere grease is certified for good performance.
- Superb adherence to the applied parts.
- Works with a wide range of grease guns.
- Has anti-corrosion properties.
1. John Deere Original Equipment Grease: Best Grease for Riding Lawn Mower Spindles
John Deere Original Equipment Grease is a long-lasting and high-duty lubricant that suits different weather conditions, from extreme pressure to high temperature. When applied to a lawn mower’s spindle, it will keep it functional and working at maximum capacity for an extended period.
- The grease’s efficiency isn’t hampered by weather conditions.
- It is a multipurpose lubricant.
- It is certified for good performance.
- Leakage is a common issue with the package.
Aside from its application in lawn mowers’ parts, the multipurpose grease is suitable for a wide range of machines such as construction equipment, trucks, tractors, autos, and combines.
The grease is certified NLGIGC-LB performance and is an NLGI Grade #2 lubricant. The dark green colored grease is a standard 14oz lubricant for a mower’s spindles and is ideal for most equipment, except marine machines.
2. Valvoline Advanced Full Synthetic SAE 5W-30 Motor Oil 5 QT
The Valvoline Advanced Fully Synthetic grease is one of the highly rated and best grease for zero-turn mowers on the market. It contains anti-additives that provide more than the industry-recommended protection level when subjected to the industry Sequence IVA wear test.
- It is affordable.
- It is a multipurpose grease for a wide range of engines and lawn mower wheels.
- The grease is a full synthetic lubricant.
- You may experience oil leakage after implementation.
- Some users have reservations about its gray color.
In addition, it protects the spindle at exceptionally low or high temperatures. So, you can use your lawn mower at any temperature without worrying about the impact of the extreme condition on the mowing machine.
If you are worried about deposits and sludge, this grease handles that. Its extra detergent helps fight these nuisances and keep the spindle sparkling clean. That is besides its superior antioxidants that come in handy in resisting motor oil breakdown when using the lawn mower in bad weather conditions.
As a highly addictive grease, it offers you a good shot at operating your lawn mower smoothly because the oil is formulated to protect the engine against stress that may result from towing, hauling, and extreme temperatures.
By reducing the challenges that may hamper the mower’s operations, the feature may help you maximize your mower engine’s performance and get the job done pretty quickly. Hence, it’s a good lubricant you may check out.
3. WD-40 Multi-Use Product – Multi-Purpose Lubricant
The WD-40 is a multi-use product with an accompanying straw that makes it easier for you to apply the grease to the spindle easily. With the aid of the straw, you can spray the lubricant in two ways: flip it down for spray or down for stream, depending on your preferred spraying method.
- The lubricant is made with clean ingredients. Hence, it’s environmentally friendly.
- The product is made of cans that contain no chlorofluorocarbons and therefore aren’t harmful to the users.
- The can is recyclable, thereby contributing to a cleaner environment.
- It is a high-quality lubricant for high temperatures.
- None is identified at the moment.
As a multipurpose lubricant, you can apply the grease on several parts of a machine such as the engines, hinges, or in this case, a lawn mower’s spindle. Aside from lubricating the areas it’s applied on, it removes moisture, bugs, adhesive, and tar, and other hindrances to the mowing machine’s efficiency.
Thanks to its anti-corrosion properties, the lubricant may help you loosen rust from the metallic parts of the spindle, thus protecting it against the damaging effect of corrosion. Quite important to note that the WD-40 lubricant is waterproof and can handle huge pressure.
These are some of the reasons why the heavy-duty multipurpose grease is a top choice among several people.
4. Star Brite White Lithium Grease 14 OZ Cartridge (026214)
The Star Brite tractor grease is one of the lubricants that will do a good job on your lawn mower’s spindle. It is ideal for mowing machines and automotive, and some industrial equipment.
- Superb resistance to moisture and corrosion, an indication that the grease is designed to serve you for a long time.
- Its compatibility with most grease guns ensures you may not have issues lubricating your mower’s spindle with it.
- Unlike many greases, it doesn’t melt at 385oF.
- The thickness doesn’t match other top rated products.
One of its selling points is its super adherence to the applied place and so ensures that the spindle is lubricated for a long time. The prolonged lubrication helps the spindle to work smoothly and thereby makes the machine easier for the user to move around while mowing.
The product is ideal for most standard grease guns and won’t be difficult to lubricate your machine’s spindle. Thanks to its anti-corrosion properties, Star Brite grease protects the spindle from rusting. It also prevents moisture from damaging the component.
5. Wolf’s Head Red Grease – 10/14oz Tubes 4.6
The Wolf’s Head Red Grease is a multipurpose lubricant for industrial and automotive uses. It is a good lubricant for most machines’ chassis, wheel bearings, disc brakes, ball joints, and lawn mower’s spindle because it has anti-rust and water resistance properties.
- It reduces friction and improves the spindle’s performance.
- The tube package is designed in a way that makes it easier to handle the grease.
- It is a lithium-based lubricant.
- It may be too pricey for some customers who want a more affordable lubricant.
It is a lithium-based lubricant that protects the spindle against pressure, oxidation, water, rust, and other related issues that may hamper its performance. It is immaterial whether you are working in a high-temperature or highly humid environment, the grease will lubricate the spindle properly and ensure it works smoothly.
Besides being a good lubricant for lawn mower’s spindles, Wolf’s Head Red Grease can also be used in some applications in the marine, mining, and construction industries where water contamination, humidity, and high temperatures are common experiences.
Our top pick is the John Deere Original Equipment Grease. It is a multipurpose grease suitable for a wide range of machines such as construction equipment, trucks, and tractors. It has a strong resistance to corrosion and heat, which is one of the reasons it is a favorite among many users.
Also Read: Best Paint For Lawn Mower Deck
How to Select the Best Grease for Lawn Mower Spindle
Choosing the best grease for your lawn mower spindle can be quite challenging because there are so many products out there with bold claims. Here are a few ways to sieve through the noise and choose something that fits your needs..
The best lubricant should have anti-corrosion properties that will protect the equipment against corrosion. It must also be resistant to water and oxidation to prevent rusting.
Besides protecting the mowing machine against corrosion, the grease must increase its resistance to heat because a high temperature can wear the mowing parts out and cause machine failure.
The grease should also have a wide range of application scope. Besides the spindle, it should be useful for other mowing parts of the lawn mower to boost its overall performance and increase its lifespan.
How to Grease a Lawn Mower Spindle
Here is a step-by-step guide to grease your lawn mower spindle:
Step 1: Get the necessary tools
The spindles of a lawn mower are located on its deck. You must take the mower deck off before you can access the spindles. The tools you need for the entire procedure are:
- A wrench set.
- A grease gun with a cartridge.
- A cotton rag.
Step 2: Perform the preliminary steps
First, remove the ignition key and disconnect the spark plug wire so that the engine won’t start accidentally when you are working on the moving parts or close to them.
Engage the parking brakes as well. You can only work safely and conveniently on a stationary mower.
Step 3: Remove the mower deck
Pull the blade engagement lever to prevent the blades from connecting to the ground. Then, lower the mower deck before removing it by pushing the lever from the deck’s adjustment level. Finally, remove the belt from the belt keepers and engine pulley. For safe and convenient removal, roll the belt out of the engine.
Also, remove the following components to separate the deck from the mower:
- Suspension arms: The suspension arms are used to connect the frame and the deck’s center. Detach them from both sides of the frame by pulling their washers and retaining pins out.
- Lift links supports: Several links and brackets are used to secure the deck to the mower frame. Detach these lift links, unscrew the nuts securing the link.
- Rear deck bracket: While the front lift links connect the deck to the frame in the front, the rear deck brackets serve a similar purpose at the back. Remove the retaining pins and clamps to pull them off.
After removing all these components, you can easily move the deck from the mower’s frame by sliding it out from under the frame.
Step 4: Grease the spindles
After removing all the components above to give you easy access to the spindles, locate them and remove their plastic casings with a screwdriver or wrench.
Then load the grease gun by detaching the gun’s barrel. Rotate the gun’s barrel anti-clockwise so you can easily remove it from the head. Pull the barrel’s plunger back to the lowest position and insert the cartridge into the barrel with the plastic side in a downward position. If you do this correctly, you’ll prevent air bubbles from forming in the barrel. Pull the handle of the cap that secures the cartridge to remove it.
When you’re done, connect the head of the gun back to the barrel tightly. Push the plunger’s follower rod back to the top.
After loading the gun, it’s now easy for you to pump the grease into the spindle from the nozzle.
- Connect the nozzle of the gun’s hose to the particular spindle you want to grease.
- Press the nozzle’s lever to pump the grease until you see some grease coming out of the spindle, indicating that the spindle assembly is well greased.
- Clean the spindle assembly properly and repeat this procedure for the other spindle assembly. You may need about 50 pumps to properly lubricate the spindle if this is the first time of greasing it.
Step 5: Reattach the detached parts
After greasing the spindles thoroughly, reattach the various parts you previously detached to the mower. Finally, test the mower.
Frequently Asked Questions
How often should I grease the mower spindle?
This is dependent on the frequency of use. If you use it frequently, you may lubricate it twice a week. Otherwise, lubricating it once a month is okay.
How long does a lawn mower spindle last?
A lawn mower spindle has an average lifespan of 2-3 years. However, the duration depends on usage frequency. After this period, the spindle’s performance may drop and that may affect the mower’s cutting ability.
How do you know a bad spindle?
Listen to your mower while mowing. If it makes a sharp noise while rotating, the spindle is overdue for greasing.
If you hear a cracking noise, the spindle has probably hit a hard object or has bent. This may make the cutting blades wobble and give uneven cuts.
What kind of grease is the best for a lawn mower spindle?
Sodium-based and lithium-based are the best lubricants for lawn mowers. Their major components ensure their longer lifespan than other brands. Regular grease has a melting point of 3500 of but sodium and lithium grease won’t melt within that temperature range. They can keep the working parts where they are applied in a great condition for long.
Can a lawn mower’s spindle be over-greased?
The straightforward answer is Yes. How often you grease the spindle depends on the frequency of use. If you use your lawn mower once in a while, it requires less greasing than if you use it regularly.
Although the over greasing doesn’t have a significant impact on the machine, it will be a waste of grease if you lubricate a lawn mower you rarely use too frequently.