You probably already know that an edger can help your lawn look better by edging out excess and overgrown grass that may give it an undesired and unattractive look.
But the slight challenge is, considering a wide range of brands out there, how do you select a battery-powered edger that is durable, efficient and versatile?
After spending about 8 hours digging through experts and real users’ reviews, we share the best battery powered edgers available on the market. We ranked the products using the following metrics: unique benefits, durability, pros, and cons.
In a hurry? Check our top 3 list below:
Best Cordless Edgers on the Market in 2022
- Easily transforms from a string trimmer into an edger and a mini-mower.
- Seven handle adjustments and 6 rotating head settings for comfort and flexibility.
- An adjustable spacer guard to protect flowers and shrubs.
- Equipped with a 2-speed control feature to provide an extended runtime.
- Easy conversion from trimmer to a wheeled edger.
- Has a 12-inch cutting swath to offer clean and precise cuts.
- Trimming and edging capabilities.
- An adjustable handle for extra comfort.
- Lightweight design.
1. WORX WG170 GT Revolution Edger
The WORX WG170 GT Revolution is a flexible and powerful in-line wheeled cordless edger suitable for small-medium size lawn maintenance. It has a proprietary command feed tech that gives you a quick edging operation on any terrain.
- The WORX WG170 is backed by a three-year warranty.
- The battery-powered edger comes with twin and perfectly balanced wheels for optimal results.
- The 12-inch Worx edger comes with an adjustable spacer guard which protects flowers, shrubs and other garden ornaments.
- It is lightweight. This will enable you to maneuver with ease.
- The battery takes a long time to charge.
The wheeled edger comes with seven handle adjustments and 6 rotating head settings which enhances comfort and flexibility while edging hard-to-reach places. It is compatible with all Worx 20v and 40v tools.
The battery-powered edger includes a 20V GT Revolution, (2) 20V MaxLithium battery to enhance a top performance. It has an innovative feed spool system that enables you to get instant line feeding in your yard.
There is an additional spool holder which acts as a backup in case your first spool runs out. The WORX WG170 is lightweight. This will enable you to easily maneuver in tight spaces.
It comes with a three-year warranty. Since it is part of the Worx Power Share family, you can use the batteries with other tools in the same category.
The WG170 has an adjustable spacer guard which protects your flowers, shrubs and other garden ornaments from damage. The balanced wheels enhance precise and optimal results when edging.
2. WORX WG163 GT 3.0 Battery Operated Edger
The WORX WG163 GT 3.0 can easily be converted from a trimmer to an in-line wheeled edger. It comes with a tilting head that can pivot at 90 degrees. This will enable you to edge in sloped terrain and hard-to-reach places.
- The WORX WG163 cordless edger comes with 2 batteries for longer use.
- It has an adjustable spacer guard to safeguard your plants and flowers to prevent damage.
- The tilting head enables you to edge out-of-reach places with ease.
- The 20V batteries are interchangeable with compatible tools.
- The telescopic shaft accommodates a wide range of height adjustments to offer premium comfort.
- It is a bit pricey.
The battery-powered cordless electric edger has 20V batteries which can last up to 30-45 minutes at a full charge. It is equipped with an adjustable spacer guard which protects your plants and flowers from damage. It comes with a fast one-hour charger.
The Worx Power Share is compatible with all Worx 20v and 40v power tools. It has rubberized wheels which act as a support and guide to the edger. They also enhance smooth maneuverability on lawns.
The 12-cutting diameter enhances a smooth and neat cut. The WORX WG163 is less than 6 lbs making it a lightweight design. It comes with an innovative push-button command feed spool system for an instant line feed.
The WG163 GT 3.0 cordless edger is also easy to use. It does not require much expertise. The telescopic shaft is adjustable for tall and short users.
3. CRAFTSMAN V20 String Trimmer/Edger (CMCST910M1)
The Craftsman CMCST910M1 has edging and trimming capabilities. It comes with 2-speed settings (high and low-speed settings), this will enable you to choose more runtime. This edging tool might be a good fit if you want lightweight and eco-friendly.
- The Craftsman CMCST910M1 comes with an adjustable length pole to fit your height.
- The battery-powered edger has unique 2- speed settings which allow you to choose between low and high speed for an optimal runtime.
- It comes with good battery life.
- The top rated cordless edger is backed by a 3-year warranty service.
- It is quite expensive.
The Craftsman V20 edger comes with a 20V Max 4.0 Ah battery for optimal runtime. It comes with an adjustable length pole to fit your length. This will allow you to edge the excess and outgrown grass with ease. The battery-powered edger is equipped with a 13-inch cutting swatch with a 0.080-inch twist line for efficiency and top edging performance. It comes with a 3-year warranty.
You can hang this device on the VERSATRACK Wall Organization System (sold separately) with the use of the integrated hook.
The Craftsman CMCST910M1 is lightweight, which enhances maneuverability on lawns. In addition, the edger is equipped with a push-button feed to control your line.
4. PowerSmart Lithium-Ion Cordless Edger
The PowerSmart Lithium-Ion PS76110A is a durable and versatile edger suitable for lawn maintenance. Its lightweight design enhances improved maneuverability around your lawn.
- The PowerSmart Lithium-Ion edger is equipped with an adjustable handle for easy and comfortable use.
- The battery-powered lawn edger will provide an optimal value for your money
- It can be operated even in tight spaces.
- The PowerSmart PS76110A cordless edger comes with a two-year warranty.
- The wheels are too small.
The Powersmart cordless edger comes with an adjustable handle for easy and comfortable use. Plus, you can easily convert it from a trimmer to an edger in a few seconds. This device gives you a power output of 1.5 amps of current for an hour at full battery charge. The battery lawn edger is well-liked for its highly efficient motor.
The battery-powered edger comes with a 2-year warranty. It performs incredibly well in tight spaces like flowerbeds. The 2-in-1 head tilts 90 degrees for easy navigation.
The PowerSmart Lithium-Ion cordless edger comes with a 10-inch cutting diameter spec to ensure precise cutting. Plus a no-load speed of 8200rpm, which enhances quicker and cleaner cutting. The automatic feed spool feeds the line without the stress of stopping and changing it out.
5. BLACK + DECKER MTC220 3-in-1 Edger
Black + Decker MTC220 is a versatile and durable lawn edger. It can easily transform from a mower to a trimmer and edger with a simple step converter. Its adjustable handle makes it comfortable to use for a wide range of people
- It can easily convert from lawnmower to trimmer and edger.
- The Black + Decker MTC220 comes with a gear drive to provide consistent power in most grass types.
- It comes with a good battery life.
- The battery-powered lawn edger is equipped with an adjustable handle for comfort.
- It has a lightweight design which enhances easy maneuverability on lawns.
- Not the ideal for large lawns.
The battery-powered edger has two batteries to ensure a good runtime. It can last for a long time depending on your task.
The MTC220 is lightweight, making it easy and compact for storage. It is most suitable for small lawns. It can also get into flowerbeds and other tight spaces.
Its cutting heights range from 1.6 to 2.4 inches. This enables you to edge your lawn to your desired height or size. It is easy to assemble.
The automatic feed feature ensures continuous work without bumping and having to stop. The gear drive enhances consistent power in most grass types. It has a 12-inch cut swath for cutting efficiency.
6. EGO Power+ EA0800 8-Inch Edger
The EGO Power+ EA0800 is the ONLY product in this post that doesn’t perform as a trimmer. It has a powerful 56V ARC Lithium battery which works well with all EGO POWER+ tools.
- The EGO Power + EA0800 cordless edger comes with a good battery life
- The battery-powered edger delivers even and precise edges around your driveways, sidewalks and patio.
- It has a weather-resistant construction.
- It is environmentally friendly.
- It is heavy.
- It is a bit pricey.
- It does not double as a trimmer.
The EA0800 has a weather-resistant construction. This rugged construction will keep your lawn tool safe under different weather conditions. The Ego Power+ EA0800 edger is easy to maneuver in tight spots.
The battery-powered edger comes with an 8-inch edger blade which gives a 3-inch maximum cutting depth to enhance clean and precise edges around your driveway. It is exclusively compatible with EGO Power plus Power Head PH1400.
The 8-inch edger is durable and long-lasting. Its guide wheel combines with a depth-adjustment knob for a quick and easy adjustment. The edger comes with an aluminum alloy gear case and shield to increase efficiency of the edger.
With its advanced battery technology, the EGO Power + EA0800 delivers optimal edging performance without emitting noise, fuss or fumes.
7. BLACK + DECKER LSTE525 Edger
The Black + Decker LSTE525 is a versatile and sturdy cordless edger suitable for small to medium lawns. It has trimming and edging capabilities plus a power drive transmission for increased torque.
- The Black + Decker LSTE525 has a 12-inch cutting swath which enhances a clean and precise cut.
- It has a 2-speed control feature which boosts power or increase runtime
- You can easily convert it from a string trimmer to an edger via the 2-in-1 option.
- It is lightweight. This will offer improved maneuverability on lawns.
- It has a soft premium micro-texture grip for added comfort.
- The spool system might get clogged occasionally.
The battery-powered edger has a 12-inch cutting swath. This provides clean and precision cutting for a good and healthy-looking lawn.
The easy feed feature enables you to advance your line with a push of a button. This shows that bumping is not required.
The cordless edger is lightweight, making you maneuver on your lawn with ease. It has a 2-speed control for more power or extended runtime. It has a soft premium micro-texture grip for extra comfort.
You can choose a lower speed for edging jobs that require more time while you choose a higher speed for jobs that require an added power.
When it comes to performance, efficiency and versatility, the WORX WG 170 GT Revolution Edger is our top pick.
It has an adjustable spacer guard which protects your flowers, shrubs and other garden ornaments from damage. It is lightweight. This will make maneuvering easy.
The WORX WG 170 cordless edger is equipped with a telescopic handle shaft which enables you to adjust to your posture and provides comfort while working.
Factors to Consider Before Buying a Battery-Powered Edger
If you are in the market for a versatile and durable battery powered edger, there are some factors to consider which will help you make the right choice. Here are a few of them:
The battery life is an important factor to consider when you want to purchase a battery-operated edger. One of the easiest things to do is checking out the current flow (amp) and ampere-hour (Ah) for an accurate evaluation of how strong the battery is.
A cordless edger with a higher ampere-hour number will last longer if the current flow doesn’t change. Also important to note that the type of work you use your edger for will determine its battery life..
If you have a large lawn, it is advisable to get the one with a much higher Ah. The standard charging time ranges from thirty minutes to two hours. Ensure that you choose a lawn edger that uses lithium-ion batteries. This is because NiMH lasts for a shorter time.
This cannot be compromised. You need to look out for the quality of the edger from the materials and type of the blades Most manufacturers opt for stainless steel blades since they offer more precise cuts on your lawn.
Stainless steel blades are rust-resistant and waterproof. Some manufacturers also use poly or plastic blades, which are mostly found on cheaper models. Also, some edgers come with carbon steel blades which are coated to resist rust.
There are different types of blades and they all have advantages. The flat blades are suitable for flat, level lawns surrounded by driveways and walkways. The flat blades with scooped edges help navigate difficult areas such as flower beds. This type of blade will ensure you enjoy a clean and neat lawn.
The star-studded blades are suited around edges that meet with a solid surface such as a wall, fence or gate.
Comfortability and Adjustability
Go for edgers that have an adjustable handle or shaft. This feature will enable you to switch to different settings to suit your needs. An adjustable pivoting head will enhance easy mobility on lawns.
You might want to use your edger for an extended period. Using a 12 pounds edger might not be the ideal option. You need a lighter one for you to maneuver easily across your lawn.
Benefits of Using Battery-Powered Edgers on your Lawn
Here are some of the benefits of edging your lawns with a battery-powered edger:
Battery-powered edgers are very convenient to use. All you need to do is just press the “on” button and it will start working well. You do not need to buy fuel before using it. There is no need to get an extension cord to drag around your lawn.
Cordless edgers are lightweight, making it easy for you to maneuver on your lawn. They are quite flexible and you can move it around your yard without getting tired.
Cordless lawn edgers are eco-friendly, with zero emissions. They are quieter compared to gas edgers. They operate below 80dB. This allows you to work at any time in the day without disturbing neighbors.
Cordless lawn edgers require minimal maintenance, this is in contrast with gas-powered edgers which require a lot to maintain. All you need to do is move your cordless edger out of your shed/garage, charge and it is ready for work.
Most battery-powered edgers can function as string trimmers and lawn mowers. This means that you can use both functions to ensure a neat and good-looking lawn. You can easily adjust the height to enhance an easy operation.
Plus have features such as rubber wheels for greater control, a space guard to protect your flower beds, plants and other garden ornaments from damage.
Frequently Asked Questions
Why should I edge my lawn?
A: It is important to edge your lawn because it will give it a neat and nice look. It will also save trimming time.
Is it better to mow or edge first?
A: Although some people prefer to mow first, it is recommended to edge first. This will yield optimal results.
How often should you edge?
A: You can edge every few times as you mow or at least every three mows.