An oak tree provides a canopy of shade with its beautiful leaves and wide branches. Every season, an oak tree drops lots of acorns on your lawn.
The acorns can litter your lawn and picking them might be time-intensive but with the right tools, you can easily pick them in a short time.
In this article, we share the best acorn picker uppers that will enhance easy cleanup and also maintain a beautiful lawn appearance.
Top 3 Acorn Picker Uppers
- Lightweight and durable construction.
- Pivoting handle makes it comfortable for all users.
- Removable basket ensures easy dumping.
- Durable, sturdy and easy to use.
- Has a lightweight construction.
- The telescopic rod can be adjusted to suit people of different heights.
Best Acorn Picker Upper: 9 Top Picks
1. Bag-A-Nut 18” Push Small Acorn Harvester
The Bag-A-Nut harvester is one of the top-rated acorn picker uppers available on the market. It is also worth its cost.
The yard tool is easy to use. All you need to do is simply push it across the area and it will pick up the acorns in your area.
- The Bag-A-Nut small acorn harvester allows you to pick up acorns without bending over.
- It comes with a pivoting handle that provides a comfortable push height for all users.
- The small acorn harvester has a durable construction.
- A user complained that the yard tool is overpriced.
- It has thin handles.
The small acorn harvester is perfect for nuts that range from ¼-1 inch in diameter. It has a removable basket for easy dumping.
The yard tool can pick up nuts quickly without bending over. Furthermore, you can also maneuver easily around trunks and under trees with it. It has a lightweight construction and it is also durable.
It features a no-rust aluminum handle and UV-stabilized plastic for low maintenance. The pivoting handle makes it comfortable for all users.
2. Garden Weasel Small Nut Gatherer
The Garden weasel small nut gatherer can pick up objects that are from 3/8 inches to ¾ inches in size. With this, this easy-to-use rolling tool will save time while picking up acorns.
It is well-rated for its sturdiness and ease of use. The yard tool is weather and rust-resistant. Furthermore, it is made of durable steel construction.
- The Garden weasel small gatherer has a storage hook and a release lever for easy removal.
- It is sturdy and easy to use.
- The acorn picker upper is weather and rust-resistant.
- A user complained that the yard tool is difficult to empty.
- A user also disliked the tool because the roller separated from the shaft during first use.
The Garden weasel small nut gatherer comes with a comfortable handle grip that is combined with a storage hook and release lever for easy removal.
It has an approximate capacity of ½ gallon. Apart from picking small acorns, it can also pick up buckeyes, nuts and similar-sized objects.
3. Agri-Fab 45-0492 Lawn Sweeper
The Agri-Fab 45-0492 model comes with an improved dump lever that can operate without leaving the tractor seat.
This lawn sweeper can be folded without the use of tools. This will allow for more space in your garage or shed.
- The lawn sweeper is sturdy and easy to use.
- It can be easily folded
- The Agri-Fab 45-0492 model comes with a universal hitch that can be attached to any tractor or brand.
- Some users complained about the instruction quality of the lawn sweeper.
- The plastic gear teeth are not durable.
The lawn sweeper is well-rated for its sturdiness and ease of use. It offers excellent value for your money.
The steel release lever can be used to empty the hopper bag. It has a universal hitch that can be attached to any tractor.
4. Makita SW400MP Couple Shaft Paddle Sweep
The Makita SW400MP model works well for acorns. It is equipped with 12-inch durable rubber paddles for remarkable performance. Its steel drive shaft ensures longer equipment life and less vibration.
The acorn picker has a wide sweeping surface of 23-1/4 inches for optimum productivity. It is also perfect for street maintenance and construction waste.
- The acorn picker has a wide sweeping surface of 23-1/4 inches for optimum productivity.
- Its steel drive shaft decreases vibration and elongates tool life.
- The yard tool features rubber paddles for optimum performance.
- A user complained that the paddle sweep is not balanced.
rocks, gravel, pebbles and grass.
It is also compatible with many attachments, including tillers, edgers, line trimmers, hedgers and pole saws.
5. DEWALT DXV12P Wet/Dry Vacuum
The DEWALT DXV12P is a perfect shop vacuum for picking up acorns. It is lightweight, durable and easy to use. Furthermore, it offers outstanding value for your money.
The wet/dry vacuum is well-liked for its suction power and maneuverability. It has a 12-gallon capacity perfect for large pick-up applications.
- The DEWALT DXV12P model offers outstanding value for your money.
- It is durable and easy to use.
- The wet/dry vacuum runs on a 5.5 horsepower motor that provides enough suction for cleanup.
- A user complained that the vacuum’s motor suddenly burned out.
- It has a cheap plastic design.
Its 5.5 horsepower motor provides enough suction for cleanup. The shop vacuum has a built-in blower port and a 20-inch power cord for top-notch performance.
The rubberized casters enhance easy movement while the built-in accessory storage back can be easily attached to the vac of the vac for neat organization.
6. Zozen Nut Gatherer, Acorn Picker Upper-Directly Dump Outlet
The Zozen nut gatherer comes with a telescopic rod that can be adjusted to suit people with different heights. Its opening design is in the upward position and it pours better.
The acorn picker upper is well-liked for its durability, sturdiness and lightweight construction. In addition, it is easy to use.
- The acorn picker upper is durable and lightweight.
- It is sturdy and easy to use.
- The Zozen nut gatherer comes with a telescopic rod that can be adjusted to fit people with different heights.
- It may not pick up acorns in short grass.
Its rod is made of high-strength aluminum alloy and it is rust-resistant. The nut-gatherer picks up objects that are between ¾ – 1-1/2 inches.
Apart from acorns, the yard tool can also pick golf balls, hickory nuts, pecans, walnuts, chestnuts and butternuts.
7. Zozen Nut Gatherer Acorn Picker Upper, Side Opening Dump
The Zozen nut gatherer is well-rated for its durability, sturdiness and ease of use. Furthermore, it offers outstanding value for your money.
It has a rod that is made of aluminum alloy and it is rust-resistant. The spherical basket is made of a stainless steel wire for good elasticity.
- The Zozen nut gatherer is durable, sturdy and easy to use.
- It features a storage bag that can be used to store the collected nuts.
- The acorn picker upper offers outstanding value for your money.
- A user complained that the handle is very short.
- Not the best for large yards.
It has a capacity of 1 gallon. In addition, the acorn picker upper is capable of picking up objects that range from ¾-1-1/2 inches.
It can also pick up objects such as toy locks, erf darts, and gumballs. butternuts and hickory nuts. The Zozen nut gatherer also features a storage bag that can be used to store the collected nuts.
8. Bag-A-Nut 36” Pull-Behind Harvester
The Bag-A-Nut harvester can pick up acorns quickly without bending over. It comes with removable baskets for easy dumping.
The acorn picker upper is lightweight and durable. It is capable of picking up objects that are between 3/8-1-1/4 inches. Its innovative design makes it suitable for children and adults.
- The acorn picker upper is lightweight and durable.
- It comes with a pivotal handle that ensures a comfortable push for users of different heights.
- The Bag-A-Nut harvester has removable baskets for easy dumping.
- It is a bit pricey.
The lawn tool features a pivoting handle that can ensure a comfortable push for users of different heights. In addition, the acorn picker upper does not require fuel.
A user commented that the Bag-A-Nut harvester worked well while picking up acorns.
9. LEJIEYIN Rolling Nut Harvester
The nut harvester is ideal for picking up large acorns. It is well-rated for its sturdiness and ease of use. It also offers excellent value for your money.
Its telescoping shaft with an adjustable length ranges from 18.5-41.5 inches.
- The LEJIEYIN nut harvester comes with a storage bag for storing collected nuts
- It offers outstanding value for your money.
- The acorn picker upper is sturdy and easy to use.
- A user complained that the nut harvester is time-consuming.
- The nut harvester is flimsy.
The yard tool has a storage bag that allows you to store collected acorns or nuts. It is also easy to collect nuts and empty them.
The large acorn picker upper uses a stainless-steel wire to ensure good elasticity. Apart from picking up large acorns, the yard tool can also pick hickory nuts, apples, butternuts and limes.
The Bag-A-Nut 18” Push Small Acorn Harvester is our top pick because it ranks #1 when it comes to durability, ease of use and lightweight construction.
It is perfect for nuts that range from ¼-1 inch in diameter. The small acorn harvester has a removable basket for easy dumping.
It can pick up nuts quickly without bending over. Furthermore, you can also maneuver easily around trunks and under trees.
The acorn picker upper has a no-rust aluminum handle and UV-stabilized plastic for low maintenance. Its pivoting handle makes it comfortable for all users.
Types of Acorn Picker Upper
Here are some types of acorn picker uppers:
A bag-nut roller is made to suit your pick-up needs. The yard tool rides on a plastic roller that can pick up your acorns and also eject them into its basket. It is also capable of picking up fifty gallons of acorns.
On the downside, bag-nut rollers are a bit pricey. Regardless of this drawback, they are worth it because they can pick up lots of acorns.
Flexible Wire Basket Roller
This acorn picker is one of the least expensive acorn picker uppers available on the market. It features a wooden handle and a flexible metal cage for top-notch performance.
While you roll the cage across the lawn and it moves over the acorn, the cables that are on the cage will separate. In this case, the acorn is sucked inside.
For you to empty the cage when it is full, you need to pull the metal wires so that the acorns can come out.
The main drawback of this acorn picker is that it takes time to pick up acorns at once. This means that you need a few passes on a patch of grass before it is free of acorns.
Notable flexible wire basket roller brands include Nut Wizard and Garden Weasel. These nut-gatherer brands have good reviews.
A shop vacuum is another acorn picker upper that can work well for you. It can also handle different types of nuts on your lawn. It is not strenuous to use.
The main disadvantage of using a shop vacuum to pick up acorns on lawns is that it can take some time to suck off these nuts.
While using it, ensure that you have a hose attachment that is long enough or else you will have to bend well to pick acorns and this might cause a backache.
The paddle broom comes with a shaft that connects to a roller and a motor. The motor is also attached to the shaft. This tool is a good tool for sweeping acorns into a pile.
Apart from picking acorns, you can also use the lawn equipment to move sand, snow, and dirt and also sweep gravel off the grass. It is great for homeowners that have large piles of acorns on their lawns.
On the downside, the paddle broom is a bit pricey. You will need to also get a shaft and paddle portion separate from the motor portion.
The motor portion can work with different attachments such as tillers, trimmers, hedgers and edgers. Another drawback is that it is not ideal for people that are over 6 feet tall.
Lawn sweepers are also used to pick up acorns and other types of nuts.
If you own a lawn sweeper that comes with a height adjustment knob, then it means that you can lower the brush height and start to pick more than just leaves.
Apart from acorns, the lawn sweeper should be able to pick buckeyes, hickory nuts and walnuts.
There are different widths of lawn sweepers but the one with 26 inches is the most common. Most lawn sweeper models are long-lasting and made for heavy-duty purposes.
How to Use a Shop Vacuum to Pick Up Acorns
Here are some tips on how to use a shop vacuum to pick up acorns on your lawn:
- Ensure that the grass is cut as low as possible. This will make it easy to pick up acorns with the lawn equipment.
- After picking up the acorns with your shop vacuum, empty them into a large plastic garbage can with wheels. This makes it easy to move it to a trash can or a disposal point.
- Make sure that you do not step on the acorns because it might cause you to slip and fall.
How to Pick with Bag-a-Nut Roller
Here are the tips on how to pick up acorns with a bag-a-nut roller:
- Simply push the bag-a nut roller while the acorns roll into the bin.
- If the acorns get stuck into the roller, you can gently use your hand to push the acorns so that they can drop it the basket
- When it is full, take out the basket and empty the acorns.
Why Do You Need to Pick Up Acorns from Your Yard?
Here are some reasons why you need to pick up acorns from your yard:
To Prevent Lawn Damage
If acorns are left to lay on the ground, they can kill the grass underneath them.
Acorns can create bare patches and these patches enable weeds to grow where there was once grass. If you pick acorns from your yard, it will prevent them from killing your grass.
To Avoid Slippage and Other Hazards for Children and Pets
Acorns are hard, small and slippery. They can be painful when you step on them. Furthermore, stepping on them can also allow your children and pets to slip.
Furthermore, kids and pets may put them in their mouths and can result in choking. So, it is important to pick them so that the environment can be safe for your children and pets.
To Prevent Pests from Entering Your Home
Chipmunks, mice and squirrels love acorns. The presence of acorns on your lawn can attract them. Once they are in your yard, they can gain entrance into your home and act as pests.
Not only do chipmunks, mice and squirrels carry diseases, but they can also cause structural damage by chewing through sidings to gain access to the house.
Once they are inside the house, they can chew insulation and electrical cables and this can cause fire hazards in your house. To avoid this from happening, you need to pick up acorns from your yard.
To Prevent the Growth of Saplings
If you do not pick acorns from your lawn, you may have to remove saplings later. Undamaged acorns have a 75 to 95 percent germination rate.
If you fail to clean up acorns and spring arrives, you might find yourself digging up saplings if you do not want them to grow into fully-grow oak trees. Ensure that you pick them up so that saplings won’t germinate in your yard.
Frequently Asked Questions
Is there a machine that will pick up acorns?
A: Yes, you can use machines such as leaf/lawn vacuum and paddle broom to pick up acorns on your lawn.
Do lawn sweepers pick up acorns?
A: Yes, lawn sweepers can pick up acorns in your yard.
What happens if you leave acorns in your yard?
A: Leaving acorns in your yard may damage your lawn equipment or mower blades.
Why bother picking up acorns?
A: Acorns are a source of nutrition for many animals. They can be eaten by raccoons, squirrels, deer, pigeons and some types of birds.
So, if you let acorns stay on your lawn, they can cause damage to the grass, pose damage to small children and may also turn into projectiles if your mowing machine hits one.